We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heading to wolfville tomorrow from halifax

A T
United States
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
heading to wolfville tomorrow from halifax

Heading to wolfville and area for the day tomorrow from halifax. Any tips on tide watching, cant miss places that anyone wants to share would be great. Somewhat limited from my usual hiking, exploring routines because of a delightful 2 year old companion - so he needs time to run around, etc. too. I am familiar with the big picture of what the area is like, the high points in all the books, on the websites - just looking for anything new or different - and for advice specific to tomorrow re: watching the tide change which is so hyped up it feels like there is pressure to "watch it" or feel silly. Thanks.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: heading to wolfville tomorrow from halifax

Stop at the Wolfville Tourist Centre at the east end of town. They will give you directions & answer any questions for you.

www.wolfville.ca/experiencing-wolfville

Hall's harbour is the best place to observe the tide difference. You don't have to wait the full 6 hrs to see both the high & low tides. That's because the harbour empties of water aprox 3 hrs after high tide, then continues down the beach before it reaches the lowest of the low. Then the harbour will be still empty until aprox 3 hr before the next high tide. So tomorrow (fFriday, 29th)low tide is aprox 9am & high tide at 3 pm. I'd suggest you visit there around noon time; then perhaps visit the Look Off & Scots Bay ( or anywhere else you decide on) then return to see high tide at 3 pm. Also note that the tide times for Hall's Harbour are listed as Baxter's harbour (which is a nearby area)

www.hallsharbour.com

Scots Bay has a great beach for walking & rock hounding. On your way there, stop at the Look Off & enjoy an ice cream at the same time enjoying the view.

http://www.scottsbay.com/beach.html

Mentioned in this post
Hall's Harbour
Hall's Harbour
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Scots Bay
Scots Bay
A T
United States
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: heading to wolfville tomorrow from halifax

Very helpful Fundygirlr - thank you very much.

Really great day.

No traffic all the way from Halifax to Wolfville.

Highlights were the exact things you suggested - the Look Off on the way to Scots Bay - and then Scots Bay as the tide was coming in quite quickly - we got to see it at the right time - gorgeous expanse of rocks and mud, exposed by low tide - and then slowly but not too slowly - the tide rolled in. We are New Englanders so this is not a foreign concept - but it was faster than the usual and fun to see. Gorgeous setting - and the hilly, pastoral scenes along the way to Scots Bay made it even better.

Then Hall's Harbour - for lunch and to see the tide fill in the narrow space where the boats waited for it, tied to the pier. Good lunch at the lobster place too -- again worth the drive and beautiful views of the bay, the other side, the tides.

One thing I dont think readers will process til they see it - getting to Scots or Hall's you go up a significant "mountain" cluster and down the other side to the shore - spectacular.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Scots Bay
Scots Bay
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,929 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: heading to wolfville tomorrow from halifax

And thank you for writing this account. It is now added to our trip reports as it will be very helpful to people going to the Wolfville area. Fundygirl knows her stuff but it is great to have it validated.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: heading to wolfville tomorrow from halifax

Andy,

Glad to hear that you had an enjoyable day. Even though I've lived most of my life in Nova Scotia, I'm always fascinated by the tides & Scots Bay is one of my favourite beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Scots Bay
Scots Bay
5. Re: heading to wolfville tomorrow from halifax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2016, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Wolfville