We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy lobster?

St. Croix
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy lobster?

We've rented a house in Antigonish for the first two weeks of Aug. I know it's past lobster season, but can anyone tell where I might be able to get live lobsters in the area?

I'm such a lobster freak and could eat it everyday (of course, I won't). The house we rented is right on the water and we can dig clams and pick mussels right on our shoreline. I would LOVE to have a good 'ol fashioned clambake while we're there.

Is there anything better than lobsters steamed in seaweed and salt water on a bonfire on the beach?

Can you tell I'm a little excited about this trip?

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy lobster?

You'll probably get some other recommendations from folks who live in the area, but Sobeys and Superstore (supermarket chains) both sell live lobsters at most stores in the area and Sobeys stores in particular often have lobsters on special.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy lobster?

Yep, and they average about $7.99 a pound right now!

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy lobster?

ANtigonish town is not on the water. So, where are you ? What is the route number of the property?

yes, the local Atlantic Superstore should have lobster, but you may be close to the lobster pound at Auld's Cove ??

St. Croix
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy lobster?

We're just off of Southside Harbor Road on Aveline Ave.

The area is called Southside Antigonish Harbour.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy lobster?

I can't find that street in the guide book for accomodations, so maybe you can send me the name of the property or where you saw the listing.

It sounds like a private place, not a tourism approved place

If it's on the south side harbour , then it is not in the town , but would be within 1/2 hour max, so then for live lobsters you could go to the lobster pound .

St. Croix
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy lobster?

Thanks for your replay caperbeach.....I just sent you a PM.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy lobster?

Where you are , you can ask about going across county to get to the lobster pound at Auld's Cove, just before the Canso Causeway,maybe 1/2 hour drive. They receive lobsters every day from wherever there are fishermen who supply them.

8. Re: Where to buy lobster?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Antigonish