We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short maritimes trip

Which Antigonish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
short maritimes trip

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a short 5 day itinerary out of Halifax? We would love to see Cape Breton, but what is a realistic amount of area to cover to get a brief view of the highlights. My husband and I are traveling alone, so a romantic and scenic trip is what we had in mind. We love to hike, like to whale watch, and are seafood fans. As we read the travel books, it's hard to pick the towns to stay in. Any suggestions of the places not to miss? Thanks.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short maritimes trip

5 days out of Halifax is fine. A day driving there on the back roads, with stops along the way. 3 days in Cape Breton (plenty of time to see the highlights and do some hiking, etc.), and a day back to Halifax.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short maritimes trip

My suggestion for YOU would be to stay somewhere in Cheticamp for the night and start of fresh early in the morning for your journey around the trail. Be sure to have some fresh seafood in Cheticamp also a whale watch tour. After hiking in the Highlands National Park keep driving to Baddeck and take in the sites, scenery, and seafood.

Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short maritimes trip

Thanks for the suggestions. Any place you would recommend to stay in either Cheticamp or Baddeck? We are looking for romantic and median priced. Would you recommend a day seeing the Bay of Fundy, or a day over to PEI?(This might make the trip too rushed) Thanks again for your help!

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short maritimes trip

Personally I would choose The Bay of Fundy. Also in Baddeck try the Mabel Bell Room at the Dunlop Inn. www.dunlopinn.com. Very nice, peaceful, and romantic place to stay.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short maritimes trip

Hi Frankie - we are doing the same thing = 4 nights out of Halifax

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short maritimes trip

Frankie - I was just testing earlier if my e-mail worked and it does...We are driving across the Conferderatin bridge on our first day to see Charolottetown, next day golf at Crowbush PEI, day three head off to the Cabot trail via the ferry ride thru Pictou. We are staying at Ingonish (north of Baddeuk) and on day four we can explore the Cabot trail more around Baddeuk. We will be passing thru Cheticamp the day before....We are then staying over in Antigonish and then back home that night....

We are not going to Halifax or Peggy's cove...I don't want to see a big city.

7. Re: short maritimes trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Antigonish