We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

Toronto
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary Mid-June, flying into Moncton, renting a car and driving to Cape Breton Island. (we couldn't get out of Halifax). We would like to go Whale watching and hiking and know this is the place for plenty of that. We are looking for recommendations for accommodations for two nights around Cape Breton. We would also welcome any recommendations for Lobster Feasts. We have a total of five days and are looking forward to it. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Moncton
Moncton
New Brunswick, Canada
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Dixon's Zodiac Seafari
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ingonish Whale Watching
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Captain Cox's Whale Watch
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Oshan Whale Watch
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Toronto
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

After looking into this for many hours :), I think we have decided on The Seascape Coatal Retreat or The Lantern Hill and Hollow. There are so many options and so many negative reviews about most others, these look great. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Lantern Hill & Hollow
Lantern Hill & Hollow
216 Reviews
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

Hello,

If it helps, we stayed at the Keltic Lodge, Ingonish and found it to be extremely over rated, so if you were contemplating this accommodation, I would have advised against it.

We did a whale watch with Zodiac tours; we didn't actually get to see any whales but it wasn't due to the guide - he tried really hard to locate them, in fact we were out for almost 45 minutes extra as he tried to locate them!

We felt very safe and should we be in the region again, I'd book with them no problem.

J*

Mentioned in this post
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
1,025 Reviews
Ingonish
Ingonish
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

PS I didn't mention that Lantern Hill & Hollow was on our shortlist and in hindsight this would have beenb preferable!

J*

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

Brave Traveller,

The two properties you have chosen are excellent and are at the high end, both in quality and price, of accommodations in Cape Breton. If you prefer a lower room rate with still a good quality of accommodation you may want to look at some of the B&Bs in the area. I would tailor wheer I stayed more with what I wanted to do while in the area. The best whale watching on the Island is along the northern coast out of either Cheticamp, Pleasant Bay or Bay St Lawrence. Pleasant Bay has the greatest number of tour operators and also the highest success rate. Most operators there guarantee sightings or refund your money. That in itself says something. Probably the nicest hike in Cape Breton is the Skyline Trail between Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay. The vistas are absolutely spectacular and many of the guests at our B&B have reported moose along the trail. Because the best hiking and the best whalewatching is close to Cheticamp you may want to stay there rather than in the Ingonish area. A B&B that I recommend there is Pilot Whale B&B. The host is also a lobster fisherman and has been known to take some of his guests out for a day of lobstering (if you have the fortitude to get up at 0500). As for lobster feasts, you are coming at the right time. For the second year the Cabot Trail is hosting their "Lobster Palooza" sea feastival and you should be able to get great seafood al around the Trail. You can go to their web site at www.lobsterpalooza.ca to find out more details. The site is not completed yet and most of the info is still last years but be patient it will come.

If very upscale accommodation is your first requirement then you might be better off in Ingonish at either Seascape Coastal Retreat or Lantern Hill and Hollow. It all depends on what you are looking for and where your priorities lie.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Pleasant Bay
Pleasant Bay
Skyline Trail
Skyline Trail
647 Reviews
Ingonish
Ingonish
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,404 Reviews
Seascape Coastal Retreat
Seascape Coastal Retreat
308 Reviews
Lantern Hill & Hollow
Lantern Hill & Hollow
216 Reviews
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

Regarding the whale watching: I went on a zodiac tour as well (Captain Wesley's) and we saw pilot whales only. I think our problem may have been the time of year - mid to end of September. Regardless, we still had a great time and I recommend the zodiacs vs. the larger boats. I enjoyed the ride and the scenery as must as anything else.

Toronto
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

Thank you very much for your suggestions. We will have two nights/three days to spend on Cape Breton Island. Would it be recommended we stay one night in Cheticamp so we can go whale watching in the morning and enjoy the sunset one night and then the second night venture over to Ingonish? I was thinking the Island Sunset Resort for one night and the Lantern Hill & Hollow for the second night.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Ingonish
Ingonish
Island Sunset Resort
Island Sunset Resort
90 Reviews
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

I think it´s a little too early for whale watching and Cape Breton is not the best place for whale watching in Nova Scotia anyway. The best place is the Bay of Fundy. In Cape Breton you might only see Pilot Whales. We stayed at the Lantern Hill and Hollow and loved it. Ask for a cottage right on the water´s edge!!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Lantern Hill & Hollow
Lantern Hill & Hollow
216 Reviews
8. Re: Accomodations on Cape Breton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 22:20