We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheticamp hospitality

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheticamp hospitality

My wife, her sister and our daughter had occasion to spend some time in Cheticamp a couple of weeks ago. They drove up from Dartmouth specifically to walk the Skyline Trail.

In Middle River, close to the volunteer fire dept., my daughters car broke down. As they could not get cell phone reception the went looking for a phone in the fire dept. The two gentlemen in the hall immedietely contacted CAA and arranged for a tow to Cheticamp. While waiting, a couple of motorcyclists pulle in, one with a minor medical problem, the volunteers quickly treated him and he was able to continue on his way.

The driver hauled the car and the ladies to a garage in Cheticamp and made sure they got to Albert's Motel where they had reservations. The owner arranged for his wife and son to drive them to the trail and walked it with them.

The mechanic diagnosed the problem and ordered a part from Sydney. This meant an extra night and as Albert's could not accommodate them a room was booked at the Acadian Motel.

After a fine meal at the Acadian Restaurant they managed to get on the last whale tour of the day and spent an enjoyable evening on the water.

As they walked the town they soon became awarethe locals knew of their plight and were very helpful with suggestions of things to do and see.

I would like to pass on my family's thanks to the people of Cheticamp, and the volunteers in Middle River. You turned a hectic couple of days into a great visit.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

We call this "Cape Breton" hospitality but would expect any one in the Atlantic provinces would treat you the exact same.

Last year, we had an Ontario motorcyclist stay at our cottage and he had a part of the kickstand and brake mechanism break. Yikes , what to do.

Even I was surprised, but we found a local guy who does welding who apparently had the only welding equipment outside of Halifax that could do a repair job. The guy made a special trip to his shop so they could get back on the road.

So, glad to see you try to communicate your thanks as this is all part of the reason people should come to Cape Breton. And bet you saw lots of whales!!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,180 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

Yes, I would say hospitality such as this in the Maritimes and Newfoundland would be the rule rather than the exception.

AB and MB
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

Satyed at Alberts motel in Cheticamp last week and it was clean and comfortable and the price was 85 dollars plus taxes...Donna was the Office person that took our call from pleasent bay .. and booked us for the same Day.../ we were out whale watching and the Lady from Wesleys Whale watching tours set us up with the Motel...ps Tony was our guide on the Zodiac and he did a great job...nothing bad to say about these operators...! Thanks to You Both..

Todd and Katherine

Estevan Sask

Miami
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

Yes, I would say hospitality such as this in the Maritimes and Newfoundland would be the rule rather than the exception.

------------------------

ONLY if you're pale white! If you're not, people are going to stare at you and look at you like you're from outer space.

If you're southern european (Greek, Italian or Spanish like me) and have light brown skin....Forget it!

Wonder how hospitable you folks would be to Africans!

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

calante, just looked at your posts, and you seem to be the racist in a couple of threads. Troll is the term used for people like you.

The people "looking" at you were probably of Acadian descent. You have know idea the hardships these people went through to keep their homes.

Try googling Acadian deportations.

How do you know my skin colour?

As for your African comment, if you checked history, you would find all of Nova Scotia is peopled with African Nova Scotians. The first free Black settlements in North America were established in Nova Scotia.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

Miami:

Quite surprised by your comment. We have visitors to the Atlantic Provinces from all over the world, so we are quite accustomed to seeing people who are of various races, colours and nationalities.

We have high schools and universities with hundreds of exchange students and many will stay here after their studies.

Yes, a Cape Bretoner may stare when they hear that lovely Irish Newfoundland accent !!! Just as some one in Miami might say "are you a Canadian?."

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

Your a kinder person than I caperbeach.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

Maybe its just me but I couldn't tell the difference from an Italian from a Spaniard from a Frenchman and having travelled around Cape Breton i would doubt very much that anyone there would care, has anyone seen Drum, what a fabulous show about the discrimination suffered by the Arcadian, Natives, black slaves and the Scots, it doesn't matter what colour you are you can still be discriminated against.

Swansboro, North...
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

This is so good to hear! We will be spending the first two weeks in June in Cheticamp. We are renting a house there. The experience we have had with the owner has been absolutely amazing! She is gracious, kind, understanding, etc. I can't say enough about her and am looking forward to not only meeting them but the two weeks that we'll have in their town.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheticamp hospitality

Two weeks? You will own majority shares in the Doryman Pub. Nice golf course if your into golf.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island