We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks?

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks?

We are thinking about a Canadian road trip for the last 2 weeks in August 2006. Are we biting off too much by covering Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks? We will be traveling with 2 kids, 8 and 9 and plan to spend most of our nights in B&Bs or similar accommodations. Looking for non hotel accommodations that will work for a family. Days will be spent mostly outdoors hiking and enjoying this beautiful area, I think I have this part covered thanks to other postings on this site.

We will drive through New Brunswick on the way up. We have spent a week in the Fundy area on a previous trip so we will be just passing through this time. Then on to Newfoundland via the Port aux Basques ferry and back via the Argentia ferry. Finally taking a ferry out of Yarmouth on the way home.

So are we trying to do too much? Can we get by without reservations so we can change plans on the fly? About half of the US goes back to school in mid August which cuts down on the crowds here, does anyone know what the Canadian school schedule looks like?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks?

The Nova Scotia kids dont go back to school until the first week of Sept. As for somewhere in Cape Breton that is a non hotel accommadation that would be good for the kids ages 8 and 9, I would try The Indian Brook Chalets. Lots of things included for the kids. Their email address is as follows- indianbrook@indianbrooklodge.com . They can maybe send you some information.

Mentioned in this post
St. Peter's
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks?

Another thing to consider is to book your Argentia ferry soon as it only goes a couple of days a week and can fill up quickly this time of year. Be sure you take in the Insectarium near Deer lake in Nfld. My wife and I were there in June and were entralled by the live butterflies flying all around us.

If you are near Fortress Louisbourg in mid-Aug, try and visit on Aug. 28th, the Feast of St. Louis, when there are activities all day, esp for kids. Enjoy!

Halifax
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks?

2 weeks including travel time from NYC? I think that sounds like too much to do in too little time. But then again, I am biased - I don't like biting off too much.

Newfoundland is unique and an experience, for sure. But it's big. Once you arrive south of Corner Brook, for example, it's a day's drive to get to St John's or to St Anthony.

Just a thought here - you might want to consider substituting PEI for NF. It's closer, and you can still take a ferry to get there. Kids would enjoy Cavendish area. Otherwise, it's beaches, esp on the north shore. There are some working farm B&B's that my kids just loved. If you are interested, try www.peiplay.com or www.redisland.com or Hunterlea Farm B&B

Hope this helps - I realize it may add to the confusion tho!

Mentioned in this post