We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in Cape Breton at the end of June

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days in Cape Breton at the end of June

This is a rough outline of our itinerary.

Anyone see any tragic flaws in it or have advice?

Day 1:

Arriving in Baddeck around noon. Staying at The Dunlop Inn. Exploring Baddeck for the rest of the day.

Day 2:

Donelda's Puffin Tour at 10:30 then proceeding along the Cabot Trail to Cheitcamp. Staying at Merry's Motel.

Day 3

Continuing along the Cabot Trail East but staying in Mabou because there doesn't seem to be many places to stay along that end of the trail. Staying at the Inn at Glendyer. Eating at The Red shoe Pub.

Day 4

Heading for home (N.B)

Would like explore the Skyline Trail looking for moose and get out on a whale watching tour at some point. I'm guessing Day 3 would be the best bet?

Thanks in advance.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days in Cape Breton at the end of June

Hi cmorrisse, my name is Donald and I am from Nova Scotia tourism.

I have looked over your plan and it looks good to me. Each day you have enough time to visit attractions as well as take your time driving in order to enjoy the scenery.

Also, I would agree with you that Day 3 seems the best day for you to do whale watching as you will be on the western side of the island. You can go whale watching out of either Pleasant Bay or Cheticamp. Here is a listing of whale watching companies on the Cabot Trail: http://tiny.cc/whale

You can also visit the Whale Interpretive Centre in Pleasant Bay as well. http://tiny.cc/whaleic

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Donald

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days in Cape Breton at the end of June

It's a shame that you aren't doing Fortress Louisbourg on your trip to Cape Breton Island, but only being from NB perhaps you have done it already. If you have any interest in history at all I would clearly recommend Louisbourg over Baddeck. It would take you an hour longer to get to Louisbourg vice Baddeck but you would still have time to explore the Fortress in the afternoon (minimum time would be at least 3 hours). You could then attend the 2 hour show of local Cape Breton/Celtic music and light comedy at the Louisbourg Playhouse from 8-10 and then spend the night either in sydney or Louisbourg. The benefit of Louisbourg over Sydney is that you wouldn't have to drive the 20 minuts back to Sydney after the show. The benefit of Sydney would be that you get a 20 minute jump start in the morning to get on the Trail.

Louisbourg rather than Baddeck would make little difference to the rest of your trip which looks fine. On Day 3 you will have to backtrack a bit to hike Skyline Trail and whale watch out of Pleasant bay but since you are only going as far as Mabou that night you shouldn't have a problem squeezing both in.

Cheers

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days in Cape Breton at the end of June

Thanks.

Baddeck isn't negotiable, as the Mrs. is into tourist traps and gift shops.

Neither of us has much interest in Fortress Louisbourg but we could always hit the Southern part of the island on another trip.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days in Cape Breton at the end of June

After looking at the map again, are we going to be missing a lot by continuing on to Mabou rather than finishing the Cabot Trail and staying in Baddeck again at the end of Day 3?

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Days in Cape Breton at the end of June

What you will be missing is the margaree River valley. It is spectacular in the fall when the colours are at their peak but for the rest of the year it is simply that, a river valley, not really much different from several you have in New Brunswick. Most of our B&B guests are here to see the ocean, consequently I always recommend that they do Hwy 19/219 along the Mabou/Inverness coast rather than the portion of the Cabot Trail that runs from Margaree Harbour to Baddeck. The best scenery on the cabot Trail is between Smokey (south of Ingonish) and Cheticamp which is one of the reasons that most of that area is part of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Days in Cape Breton at the end of June

Your plan to stay in Mabou or anywhere from Cheticamp down that side.

You just might luck out and find some good old CB fiddle music. Check at the tourist bureau on the right when you arrive on the Island and they should know.

Now Night two, you might want to stay in Dingwall , try the Inlet B&B, and the next day is the same day you come down the Cabot Trail where the Skyline trail is , about 20 minutes south of Pleasant Bay. The Skyline needs at least 2 1/2 hours .

7. Re: 4 Days in Cape Breton at the end of June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 05:33