We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning a 10-Day Visit to Cape Breton

Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Help with planning a 10-Day Visit to Cape Breton

Hello :)

My friends and I will be visiting Cape Breton for 10 days beginning at the end of June. We are interested in the usual attractions; Cabot Trail, Fortress of Louisbourg , etc..

We've never been to Nova Scotia, so I would appreciate recommendations from the experts on the forum as how to plan the trip, where and how long to stay in each accommodation, what to visit, etc..

Thanks!

Mike

Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning a 10-Day Visit to Cape Breton

By the way, we will be driving from Halifax.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning a 10-Day Visit to Cape Breton

Hi Hopless Traveller: If you could give a bit of indication of what your interests are, several people would probably be able to offer suggestions. For example, are you interested in outdoor adventures (hiking, cycling, kayaking), or cultural activities (museums, galleries, concerts)? What is the age group that you will be traveling with? What is your budget range … are you seeking economical accommodations or are you looking forward to treating yourself to some of the upper-priced spots in Cape Breton? Do you prefer B&B, Inns or hotel/motel type accommodations?

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with planning a 10-Day Visit to Cape Breton

Mike,

Do you actually mean 10 days in Cape Breton or do you mean 10 days in Nova Scotia? How will you be getting here. As others have mentioned, if you tell us a little more of what you want to see/do then we can better help you plan out a reasonable itinerary.

Cheers

Halifax
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with planning a 10-Day Visit to Cape Breton

Hi there HopelessTraveller, my name is Dayna and I work for Nova Scotia tourism.

First off, 10 days will get alot of sightseeing done, maybe a little too much to just stay in Cape Breton. But either way, you should have a look at http://novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx You can find things to do, see, and places to stay.

You can do lots of things, such as Whale Watching and Sea Bird tours (novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx), take part in a local festival (novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx), and even have dinner/lunch at a wonderful restaurant (novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx)

Also, you can look up museums in the areas such as Sydneys Miner museum, and Baddeks Alexander Graham Bell Museum.

Another great feature of the site is the distance calculator... novascotia.com/en/…distancecalculator.aspx This will give you a great idea of driving times, so you can plan your days accordingly.

Hope this helps! Have a great day!

PS, any of the Visitor Information centers you come across will have wonderful and helpfull people who can help guide you along your way. Plus don't forget to pick up your free highways may and Travel guide at the first one you come across!

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with planning a 10-Day Visit to Cape Breton

Well, the first thing you need to do is understand that you will have the Island to yourself to a degree as you are ahead of the rush. I suggest you check out teh Cape Breton fiddle music venues. Mabouu has the Red Shoe Pub owned by the Rankin family. The Normaway Barn on wednesday nights. The Doryman in Cheticamp om Saturday afternoons. Even the Glenora Distillery. Try the dance at South West Margaree on Friday night or West Mabou on Saturday Night, and that's not all of them.

You can travel the Cabot Trail clockwise or counterclockwise but remember the sun sets on the horizon, so at least have one night on the west side of the Island.

And by the way, we have beer in the Coop store in Margaree and Whycocogmah.

As for places to stay , need a bit more info, or send me a private message. Do you want a B&B , A cottage on the ocean?

ANd by the way , I tell people Cape Breton is all about loops, if you left where I live, I can give you four loops and you'd only repeat 30 miles but will have seen all of the Island.

10 days eh, geez , we can fill those days for you . What do you like? Yes, Louisburg, go down the mine in Glace Bay, go see the puffins from Englishtown (get the female captains boat, Donelda I think) a Zodiac in Cheticamp (Wesleys, ask for Bonnie) to see whales is a blast , see Joe's Scarecrows in Cape LeMoine and talk to Paul , swim at Belle Cote or Margaree Harbour beach, eat Lobster or Crab at the All Aboard, and do you want to horse back ride a bit along the beach and the capes of the Park with a buddy who was on MANTRACKER !!!,

6. Re: Help with planning a 10-Day Visit to Cape Breton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2009, 05:21