We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

Guelph Ontario
12 posts
Save Topic
any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

Hello will be travelling through CBI at the end of this month. We are seafood lovers. Are there any

Seafood buffet restaurants there? Can you recommend one or two or three???? lol

Reasonable priced and good food please.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

Not that I am aware of. But if you like a seafood chowder, try the Cedar House Restaurant and Bakery in Boularderie on Highway 105 near the Seal Island Bridge area. You will not be disappointed. They have great fish cakes too. For some great seafood, like lobster, scallops, crab and haddock... if you are heading to Louisbourg try one of the restaurants there.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

If you want a big (cheap) feed of lobster, you can always try the Sobey's supermarket. They have a steamer machine on site, and will cook them for you free of charge. So you can order up your belly full of lobster, waste 20 minutes in the store, and then have fresh, hot, cheap, steamed lobster.

I prefer them cooked in salt water myself, but for somebody visiting, it might be a manageable alternative.

Guelph Ontario
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

Well, that's an interesting idea thanks....we'll remember that one. And how much do the lobsters cost at Sobey's? When you have two huge teenage boys who eat like they never have....lol....well every bit of "deal" information on where to dine is a must! Thanks so much!

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

Following up on what cgreno said, both Sobeys and Superstore in sydney will cook the lobster for you while you wait. Make sure you bring some "lobster tools" with you for eating them. At about $7 a pound it certainly beats a $30 lobster dinner at a restaurant. If you can find a nice picnic table near the harbour it's even better.

Cheers

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

Besides a tool to crack them opened...or use your hands. Two other great things to have on hand for the lobster are newspapers and a few bibs. LOL.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

A nutcracker and a big roll of paper towel should be all you need. You can't be gentle with them!

I think lobster is going for around $8 per pound, which is a great price, and you will want lobster that are between 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. (I personally find the meat sweeter). I bet if you pick up some rolls and potato/macaroni salads, 2 lobsters will fill your boys. It's a very rich seafood.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

If you are travelling around the Cabot Trail, there are several good restaurants that have seafood, seafood platters etc .

Cheticamp - The ones we suggest are the All Aboard, the Hometown and the Harbour

Pleasant Bay - Rusty Anchor

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

Oh, and there are a few lobster pounds that also will serve cooked lobster, not a meal, just the lobster

After mid July is a 2-3 week snow crab season too, so you'll have to try that !!

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

I was just at the Superstore over on Young Street to pick up some lunch (BEST lobster bisque ever (but very salty)) and I noticed that they have their price of lobster $7.99 for live and $8.99 for cooked.

Humph.

I never heard of them charging to steam them before. I know that Sobey's doesn't charge to steam them.

Just an FYI.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any seafood buffets on Cape Bretton Is?

Snow crab season is open in Cape Breton. I just bought a feed of snow crab this morning directly from the fishing boats in Louisbourg. I got 25 lbs (12 large crabs) for $40 or $1.60 per lb. I actually paid $2.00 a lb as I consider it obscene that the fishermen are getting so little. Five of us had a great feed of fresh crab for supper,we cleaned up the rest for "Snow Crab Eggs Benedict" for tomorrow's breakfast for 6 guests and we'll still have some left over for crab cakes later. I doubt if you can beat a deal like that anywhere.