We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf course degree of difficulty

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Golf course degree of difficulty

Just wondering how hard the Highland Links course is. We'll be there next week and would really like to play it. But we are, shall we say, "learning the game". We've played a few difficult courses, and just pick up our golf balls when things get silly - - - i.e., we try not to become the course bottleneck. But there are certain courses that frown on poor players. Any thoughts? Are there times of day that might be better to go? We'd be quite happy just to play 9 holes.

Cheers. Any thoughts / advice would be much appreciated!

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf course degree of difficulty

Sorry, I've never played that course....

But maritimers typically have patience for those things. If you find yourself going at a slower pace, and people are waiting behind you, then just let the players behind you go ahead of you, and take your time.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf course degree of difficulty

Hi Kliph, my name is Donald and I am from Nova Scotia tourism.

Not to scare you off but according to the Royal Canadian Golf Association, the Highland Links was voted Canada's third toughest golf course in 2007.

http://www.rcga.org/news_details.aspx?ID=1432

However, it is a very nice course and I would suggest you call the Highland Links (1-800-441-1118) and explain to them your situation and see what they have to say.

You can also visit http://www.golfcapebreton.com/ for other golf courses on Cape Breton Island.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Donald

Mentioned in this post
Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf course degree of difficulty

Just go at a non-peak time for 9 holes and you will be fine. As long as you let faster golfers play through, I really doubt you'll have any issues (I'm not a strong golfer either and that's what I do...or I pick up).

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf course degree of difficulty

Okay, thanks to all for the insights. Donald, I think you have scared me a bit! It'll stop being fun pretty fast if we lose balls on every shot! But we'll see...maybe going later in the day is the answer.

We're staying at the Keltic Lodge. Anyone know of any other nearby courses that would be scenic but not too punishing?

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf course degree of difficulty

Hi Kliph,

I hope I didn't scare you too much becuase it is a beautiful course with amazing views. I think that since, as you say you are just "learning the game" you may be able to enjoy the course more even if you are losing balls or are taking longer to complete the course, since your final score may not be as important to you as it would be more seasoned golfers.

As for other courses nearby you can visit the link I gave you earlier and check out Bell Bay in Baddeck (about 1.5 hours south of Ingonish) or Le Portage in Cheticamp (about 1.5-2 hours from Ingonish along the Cabot Trail on the West side of the island).

Cheers,

Donald

Mentioned in this post
Baddeck
Baddeck
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Ingonish
Ingonish
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,404 Reviews
Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf course degree of difficulty

Bell Bay and Dundee are the other two courses that my SO (the golf nut--or so I call him) particularly likes. We played 9 holes at Dundee in the evening about three years ago in mid-August and we didn't see a soul.

Mentioned in this post
Dundee
Dundee
Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf course degree of difficulty

Thanks for the tips! Dundee looks particularly nice - - - hopefully we can check that out as well.

Donald, you're totally right about the score. My SO is just starting out but getting into it, and I have switched to playing left-handed (my natural swing) after decades of utterly inept right-handed play. We've been out maybe half a dozen times, and really are just trying to have fun and make some decent shots as we go. We've only kept score once. Don't ask me what the score was - - - my SO lost the scorecard on the last hole! But it wasn't going to be pretty, to be sure.

My main concern is course marshalls and other golfers, especially if you get paired up. Some people are positively great, but some are, well, not so great. I really enjoy golf, but have found that it's a bit like wine - - - for some reason it can really bring out the condescending snob in certain folks in a way that other interests don't. I've found that some courses are more prone to this than others...

Anyway, thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Dundee
Dundee
8. Re: Golf course degree of difficulty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 06:31