We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another CBI itinerary request

Phoenix
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another CBI itinerary request

Hello - I've been reading the numerous helpful posts on planning an itinerary for Cape Breton. I would love some advise on mine. In mid August, I'll be travelling solo to Cape Breton after a 6 day walking trip along Nova Scotia's Southern/Eastern Shore. I have 4-5 days to spend in Cape Breton. I can leave Halifax around 2-3pm on Friday afternoon. My thought was to drive to Sydney and stay 2 nights. Saturday I would visit Louisburg and maybe the Miners Museum in Glace Bay. Sunday I would depart for the western loop - with a puffin boat tour and possibly an easy hike/walk. I'd like a recommendation on where to spend Sunday night. Monday would be more time along the Cabot trail - perhaps an easy hike/walk or some beach time. Plan to stay in Mabou/Inverness on Monday night. Tuesday I would then drive back to Halifax for my flight out. I'd love to hear some Celtic music and would like suggestions on good places for a solo traveler to hike/walk- nothing too adventurous. I also don't know if it would be better to reverse my trip. Appreciate all the friendly advice offered.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Sydney
Sydney
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Cape Breton Miners' Museum
Cape Breton Miners...
408 Reviews
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,405 Reviews
Mabou
Mabou
Inverness
Inverness
Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another CBI itinerary request

In mid August , you likely do not need advance reservations assuming you are staying at B&B's or small inns.

Sounds like you take your time to explore. Fortress Louisburg and the mine museum in Glace Bay can be done on one day if you get an early start.

If you do Sydney before the Cabot Trail, then that generally means you'll travel the cabot Trail counter clockwise. If you do that , you'll need to watch your timing if you want to hike in the Highlands Park as the Skyline takes 3 hours or a side trip to the Margaree Valley can add 3 hours .

Finding music is again about timing. Go into the visitor center at the entrance to the island as you may want to alter your plan once they show what music is available and WHERE for the days you are on the Island.

For potential places to stay in the plan you have there is A Paradise Found in Sydney or think it's called Vespers in Glace Bay; on the other side of CB it really depends on where you'll be that day as it may make more sense to stay in one place and travel to the music events from there. For example, you can stay in Margaree Harbour and easily take in Music in Margaree, Mabou or Cheticamp .

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,405 Reviews
Mabou
Mabou
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another CBI itinerary request

On Saturday I would recommend doing the first tour at the Miner's Museum in the morning and then the Fortress of Louisbourg in the afternoon. That way you can then catch the show at the Louisbourg Playhouse from 8-10 that evening before returning back to your accommodation in Sydney Saturday night. On Sunday I would recommend doing a morning puffin tour and then continuing around the Cabot Trail. You could get in an afternoon hike in the Park, perhaps " Middle Head" near the Keltic Lodge. For that night you really won't get past the Dingwall/Cape North area. I would recommend either The Inlet B&B in Dingwall or Oakwood manor in Cape North. The next day (Monday) continue around the Cabot Trail. I would recommend highly the "Skyline Trail" which I think is one of the nicest hikes in the Park. It is about 2 hours and is really a nice walk as opposed to a strenuous hike and the ocean vioews at the end are spectacular. That evening you could stay anywhere from Cheticamp to Inverness. There are excellent beaches all along that shore and the water is actually warm enough to get in. You would likely be able to find great music in Cheticamp on a Monday night in August. You will find Celtic music at the Red Shoe in Inverness almost any night of the week. Accommodations I would recommend in the area are Ocean Haven B&B in Belle Cote south of Cheticamp and The Inn at Glendyer just outside of Inverness.

With the plan you have I think you will have a fine time on Cape Breton Island.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Louisbourg
Louisbourg
Sydney
Sydney
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,405 Reviews
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
1,028 Reviews
Dingwall
Dingwall
Skyline Trail
Skyline Trail
647 Reviews
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Inverness
Inverness
Inn at Glendyer
Inn at Glendyer
170 Reviews
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Phoenix
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another CBI itinerary request

Thank you so much! I can tell I'm going to have a fantastic vacation just by the helpful and friendly advice. I can't wait to be there.

Kate Downes

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another CBI itinerary request

Once you have a day by day draft of your plan, send it to us and we'll smooth it out for you.

The key travelling Cape Breton is all about timing as in some areas you just cannot go fast or take shortcuts, you go with the flow.

Also, if you are travelling alone, everywhere is OK and very safe etc., but there are some stretches of road where we'd suggest you try to avoid at night unless you are going to a local Ceilidh & dance.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Phoenix
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another CBI itinerary request

Will do - i'm just finalizing my lodging reservations now and then will send along my itinerary. I can't tell you how excited I am to visit Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. Everyone has been so nice, i expect this to be one of my best vacations ever.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
6. Re: Yet another CBI itinerary request

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 05:17