We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Anniversary Road Trip

New Brunswick
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Second Anniversary Road Trip

My husband and I are celebrating our second anniversary in August and we're traveling to Cape Breton for it. We'll be on the island from July 31st to August 8th. The 31st-2nd we're staying at the Myra River Provincial Park; 2nd-5th at the Cheticamp campground in the Highlands Nation Park; then the 5th-8th at the Broad Cove camp ground.

Are any of the trails in those areas particularly nice? Also I'd like to find a really nice (but not retarded expensive) restaurant in the Cheticamp area for our actual anniversary dinner. Right now I'm looking at driving an hour to the Glenora Distillery to have dinner there. Is that a good idea?

Are there any other must-see things in those areas?

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Anniversary Road Trip

Trails, the big trail for most is the Skyline Trail in the park, but the one by the Cheticamp River by your campground is supposedly good too. I always say that very gravel road in Nova Scotia is next best to a trail.

The anniversary dining night. Well, there are choices depending on just what you like . The "Harbour" in Cheticamp is right on the water while the Glenora is inland ,tucked in a valley . If you want a real different place, where the two of you , then check out the "Big Intervale" Salmon Camp as it is way into the Margaree Valley, operated by a couple from Switzerland , everything is very home made.I'd say allow at least an hour from Cheticamp.

Must-see, Must Do ? depends on the days of the week because the music venues are the "musts"=

Halifax
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Anniversary Road Trip

Hi there hawkmun, my name is Fiona and I work with NS Tourism.

So glad that you are joining us for your special day! A lot of the trails in the park are very picturesque and they range quite a bit in difficulty. As mentioned by caperbeach, the Skyline is certainly the most well known trail. Another great easy trail is Corney Brook. which follows a stream and ends at a waterfall, with a possibility to see some moose on both trails! Check out the park's website with descriptions of the trails (by clicking on the name): pc.gc.ca/eng/…activ1.aspx

and a map of the park at: http://www.pc.gc.ca/~/media/pn-np/ns/cbreton/c-e/carte-map.ashx

Another great website with descriptions is http://www.out-there.com/cape-bh.htm

As for looking for a great restaurant you could always ask some of the locals when you get there or visit the visitor information centre in Cheticamp. In the area where you are staying in is well known for whale watching between Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay and also in Pleasant Bay is the Whale Interpretive Centre. There is also an Acadian Museum in Cheticamp as well as a hooked rug museum: Les Trios Pignons.

While down on the Mira you may want to take the trip down to the Fortress of Louisbourg if you have time-certainly quite a sight/site to see! Also half way between the Mira and Broad cove would be the Gaelic College at St. Ann's where they have the history of the Scottish settlers in the region.

Hope this information helps,

Fiona

Halifax, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Anniversary Road Trip

Congrats on the 2 years just wanted to let you know on Aug 7th the Nova Scotia highland Village in Iona is holding their annual concert, you can find out more info on their website http://museum.gov.ns.ca/hv/index.html, the concert is a great sampleing of Celtic music and the view of the Bras D'or lake from the museum is breathtaking.

BlogNovaScotia

4. Re: Second Anniversary Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2010, 05:16