We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions on discount lodging on Cape Breton Island

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Any suggestions on discount lodging on Cape Breton Island

Does anyone have any suggestions for affordable lodging on Cape Breton Island (meaning $100 or less a night)?

Also - any suggestions of where to stay on Cape Breton Island and what to do there - we have four days there in early September.

thanks much

Cape Breton
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions on discount lodging on Cape Breton Island

These websites might be helpful:

www.cbisland.com

www.CapeBretonsHeritageCoast.com

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions on discount lodging on Cape Breton Island

http://www.destination-ns.com/forms/guide.asp

or a toll free accommodation line: 1-800-565-0000

There are budget type motels in the major villages and you should be able to find something.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions on discount lodging on Cape Breton Island

At a $100 or less, that means your limit is $80-85 per night. At $85 at a motel is a far more expensive than a $110 at a B&B, as any B&B breakfast is usually worth maybe $10 or more per person . Of the places that I usually recommend , most are B&B's at around $100-115/couple or cottages at $ 120-140 /couple .

The only way to make the trip is to decide on locations and not be trying to get deals as that might lead you to locations that are the ones that are best located.

If you want deals , you have to contact the owners . The rate through the "central booking" at that 1800565000 may also be higher than dealing direct as that number is a sort of travel agent..

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions on discount lodging on Cape Breton Island

What you do and where you stay while on Cape Breton Island really depends on where your interests lie. The 2 major attractions on the Island are the Cabot Trail and the Fortress of Louisbourg.

The Cabot Trail is the scenic drive around the northern part of Cape Breton Island and through the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. It is generally recognised as the most scenic drive in Eastern Canada. In addition to the fabulous scenery, there is a wide variety of activities, particularly outdoor activities like whale watching, hiking, kayaking, etc, that can fill your day.

The Fortress of Louisbourg on Cape Breton's Heritage Coast is the largest (and I believe the best) historic reconstruction on the continent. It is more than simply a fort but is an entire French Colonial town where you will see all aspects of Frech Colonial life.

Other excellent things to visit on Cape Breton Island are the Cape Breton Miner's Museum in Glace Bay, the Highland Village in Iona and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck. Add to all of this the vibrant Cape Breton/Celtic cuture that you can take part in with local "ceilidhs" throughout the Island and you can have a fantastic time while you are here. It is obvious that you can't do everything in the 4 short days you have so you will have to do some planning and set some priorities. If you would tell us when exactly you will be in Cape Breton and what you are interested in doing it would make it easier for us to help you enjoy your time on Cape Breton Island.

Cheers

Flower Mound, TX
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestions on discount lodging on Cape Breton Island

We just spent 2 fabulous nights and days at the Wreck Cove Wilderness cabins. With a full kitchen and 2 bdrms, woodstove, great walking paths. Your host there has many suggestions on the website of where to go and what to do. All for just at $100. We could have stayed a month.

windsor, ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestions on discount lodging on Cape Breton Island

In July I stayed at Cheticamp Outfitters just outside of Cheticamp and paid $75/nite for 2 people breakfast included, tax was extra. There are also rooms with a small fridge for $85 a nite. Check out their website. A really huge and excellent homecooked breakfast is included. It is about a 15 minute drive to the park entrance. Rooms were small but clean, meal was excellent. I would definately stay again.

We also sayed at Inverness Beach Village, in a very small cabin that accomodates 3-4 people. Each cabin has a small kitchenette. The plus side is the most beautiful scenery and beach you can imagine. Two rows of the cottages are right by the ocean, two more are up a hill away form the water. We paid $110/nite. We loved it here and wished we had stayed longer.

Last leg of out trip was at Wreck cove wilderness cabins. These were awesome. Roomy enough for 4 people, nice kitchen, big bonfires at night. cost was $129/nite for 4 people, but I believe the base rate is $110/nite. we stayed 2 nites and wanted to stay a 3rd, but it was full. To me all of the above places are far superior to a motel, beautiful settings, room to move around and the option to cook simply and save money. I did a whole lot of research on this, came up with these 3 spots and loved all of them. PM me if you like.

7. Re: Any suggestions on discount lodging on Cape Breton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 06:52
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island
Recent Conversations