We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best towns to stay in in cape Breton .

NewYork City
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Best towns to stay in in cape Breton .

We will be traveling from Halifax to cape Breton next July 2011 and want to know the best towns to stay in for one or 2 nights as we travel up and around the coast. we will be spending 1 week going around the coast and want to know the prettiest towns and quiet. We are concidering flying into Halifax,driving the highway to get to the coast the fastest. We need to stop one night possible at Antigonish and then the next day be refreshed and begin our 7 days arount the cape and cabot trail. we then will be headed for PEI for 6 dfays and fly home from Charletown . Any suggestions on the best towns during our route in Novia Scotia? Thanks

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best towns to stay in in cape Breton .

You have two agendas here that we need to better understand to help. First, what time of day do you arrive in Halifax and what time of day do you leave, so we can figure out how many days you have "on the ground". Second, tell us a little bit about what you want to experience as that helps us recommend locations. Like if you want the Cape Breton fiddle music, I would aim for Wednesday night in Margaree, if you want great hiking then I'd get you near the Skyline Trail on the Cabot Trail, but if you like history , then I'd aim to get you near Fortress Louisburg and the Bell Museum. On these trips, it is best to get to the farthest point and work backwards. I tend to suggest people go to PEI and then Cape Breton as from Cape Breton to the airport is a nice day trip ,but depends on departure time where that last night could be. .

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best towns to stay in in cape Breton .

Unless there is a reason why you can't leave Halifax first thing in the morning, or you have something enroute that you want to stop and see, theres no reason why you can't make it to Cape Breton Island without a stopover (we made our way to Cheticamp where we stayed a few days to base out of), and we did not race to get there.

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best towns to stay in in cape Breton .

the whole island is pretty and you really can't miss just about anywhere. You can read my Trip Report -- or trip reprot ;^) -- on this forum for my experiences. But I would say be sure to spend the night in Mabou. That way you can visit the Red Shoe and spend the night locally. The drive to Meat Cove and the view from there were real highlights for us. Likewise, we loved the Louisbourg Playhouse.

We are not sure why you are planning to stop in Antigonish. If you think you will be too tired or getting to Halifax too late, why not just visit Halifax and leave first thing in the morning. You can be at the Celtic Music Center in Judique by noon time or so.

FWIW, we stopped in New Glasgow, but also drove through parts of Pictou and Antigonish. Of the three Pictou seemed the nicest by far, although we saw very little of each.

4. Re: Best towns to stay in in cape Breton .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island
Recent Conversations