We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with a plan please

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
help with a plan please

hi everyone...i have posted here some time ago and unfortunately the trip to the cape did not happen. i'm hoping you can provide me with some assistance for my upcoming 10 day trip in july that is definitely on!

i will be driving in from ontario leaving june 30th and will stay in new glasgow with friends on juy 1st and 2nd then head up to the cape on the morning of sunday, july 3rd. we have only 2 nights to spare as i will then be heading to halifax for an overnight, and down to yarmouth with family for 3 nights before taking the ferry at digby and heading home.

my question is, where should we aim to stay coming in from new glasgow? we definitely want to experience a ceilidh as my friend is scottish! we would also consider a whale watch trip but not essential.

should we find one spot and take two day trips or should we stay one night then move on to another place for the 2nd night?

we are concerned with the amount of driving and would also consider doing a bus tour around leaving the car parked somewhere...is that doable?

thanks so much in advance as i know how wonderful everyone is on this board and really appreciate your help!

cheers, rootsie

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with a plan please

You will liklely only find music on a Sunday afternoon in Judique and maybe Sunday evening in Mabou. Other than that , maybe at the Glenora Distillery on Sunday too.

The driving times are not that bad , and there is no bus that travels around the Cabot Trail.

New Glasgow to Cape Breton is less than two hours, The Causeway to Margaree is two hours. I would try to find your music venue and aim for there to make sure you get that music. Then the next day, you could travel the whole Trail full circle and would allow 4 hours at least to say get from Mabou all around to the Englishtown ferry. Baddeck back to New Glasgow is less than 3 hours. So you could stay your second might in places like Dingwall, Cape North, Ingonish or even Baddeck . What kind if place do you like ? B&B or a cottage;

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with a plan please

thanks for getting back to me.

on the quick bit of research i did, it looks like there is one in judique in the afternoon 3 - 6 and also one in baddeck in the evening. which would be a better choice to do a day trip the next day from or is it 6 of one, half dozen of another?

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with a plan please

Judique is the better . Also, that means you can also have Mabou as an option or second stop within a 1/2 hour drive

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with a plan please

so here's what i'm thinking...would love your feedback.

head into mabou to spend the night at the mabou river inn. we would like to go to the red shoe for their afternoon ceilidh from 3 - 6 then perhaps stay on for supper etc. in the morning, head out to go around the cape and end up in baddeck for another overnight. in the morning we head out from there to halifax.

how does this sound?

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with a plan please

Yes, that sounds good. Also, the Mull restaurant is very good for your evening meal . Wave when you drive by the next day .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with a plan please

thanks caper! where are you located?

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: help with a plan please

you also mentioned a whale cruise would be an option if going around the trail , you could stop in pleasent bay and enjoy a quick hope on the water to see whlaes aboard one of the zodiacs , they are an experience on there own .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with a plan please

thanks for that warreck. so if i was to leave mabou at say 9 am after breakfast, what time would we reach pleasant bay?

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: help with a plan please

it would take about 1 1/2 hour of driving but allow a fair bit of time to enjoy the sceneries , because there a few of them

10. Re: help with a plan please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 14:06