We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood store near Ingonish?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood store near Ingonish?

We will be staying in a cabin with a kitchen in Wreck Cove and would like to purchase fresh, local seafood to cook in our cabin. Are there any fish markets near Wreck Cove? If we had to go as far as the Sydney area, we could stop there after a day trip to Louisbourg. Thanks.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood store near Ingonish?

I don't have an answer but my guess is that you would be best to ask around. You could go to the fishing wharfs and see what you can find.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood store near Ingonish?

This is my question as well. Ive heard Baddeck or Sydney is the best bet, but Ive also heard that there are trucks sometimes on the side of the road. $5/lb? Also heard that you can buy from fishermen at the Wharf's? In any case, my seaside cottage at Point Cottages is going to be cooking seafood one way or another.

It would be nice to know if we need to bring from a larger center or can get it locally.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood store near Ingonish?

There seem to be two discussions going at once. Neither say what time of year you are in the area . You shouldn't have to travel too far to get seafood. . Suggest you go into the Ingonish or Victoria County websites and try to track down their tourism guy , last name is Wilson and he'll help you. By th way there is an etiquette when buying from the fishermen. You go to the wharf and tell them who you are , where you are staying, what you want, how many kids you have, why you like his boat , and then ask for fish !!!! On the western side over here by Margaree,, we can get live lobster from a lobster pound most of the summer, we get snow crab from the fishermen in season, but other than that there is not much fresh fish . . At Dingwall, we've gotten some cod on occasion Think they said some one "over fished" >

4. Re: Seafood store near Ingonish?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 16:19