We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Adventures on Cape Breton Island

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Adventures on Cape Breton Island

My husband and I plan to spend a week in Nova Scotia and PEI in mid-August. We're flying in and out of Charlottetown; we've booked the plane and car but nothing else. We enjoy hiking and I hope to see puffins. We also are interested in whale watching, perhaps kayaking, local music, and hopefully still finding some quiet time!

Are the roads to hiking trails accessible in an economy car (what we've rented) or should I plan to upgrade to an SUV?

Also, is the itinerary too ambitious? Not including enough? We're trying to keep the puffin tour near the front-end of our trip because I understand they migrate in mid-to-late August.. Any suggestions for changes would be welcome!

Day 1: land in Charlottetown in early evening

Day 2: Drive to Baddeck & do an afternoon hike

Day 3:Puffin tour in the morning, drive to Cheticamp in the afternoon

Day 4: Hike skyline trail in the morning, go on a whale-watch, drive to Ingonish

Day 5: Hike or kayak in the morning (or do a puffin tour if it was rained out earlier on) drive to Mabou

Day 6: Back to PEI (perhaps Cavendish)

Day 7: PEI / night Cavendish

Day 8: PEI / night Cavendish

Day 9: morning PEI; evening departure from Charlottetown Airport

Capt. Mark's Whale and Seal Cruise
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Oshan Whale Watch
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Dixon's Zodiac Seafari
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Guaranteed whales.com
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Adventures on Cape Breton Island

You have a tight schedule but can be done. You will be fine with that car as most hikes you'll do are accessible from the main roads . You might find that you'll want to switch a day from PEI to Cape Breton Try to reach Donelda , she does Puffin Tours at Englishtown , she'll know the dates they leave the island . Call 1 800 565 0000 if you can't find her

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Adventures on Cape Breton Island

Thanks for the input. That time of year, is it best to have reservations in advance? Can we make them day by day or are most places full? We like the idea of staying in B&Bs.

3. Re: Itinerary for Adventures on Cape Breton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island