We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Englishtown Ferry

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
The Englishtown Ferry

Later this month, my family will be traveling to Wreck Cove, where we will be based for a week. We will be arriving in the area on a Sunday afternoon, probably around 5:00, coming from the mainland. According to the map, the shortest route involves taking the Englishtown Ferry rather than the zigzagging Cabot Trail. I would prefer to take the ferry anyway because 1) boat rides are fun, and 2) we will have our dog with us, and she gets anxious on curvy roads. So, two questions: Is there typically a long wait for the ferry on the Englishtown side on a late Sunday afternoon? Also, when does ferry service shut down in the evening? Thank you!

Halifax
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Englishtown Ferry

Hello markoboston,

My name is Fiona and I work with NS Tourism.

While I don't know too much about the wait times at the ferry (I would say it really depends on the day and what events are going on), I can tell you that the ferry does run 24h a day and costs $5.25. It's a cable ferry that runs on demand.

Hope this information helps,

Cheers,

Fiona

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Englishtown Ferry

The ferry only takes about 2 minutes to cross to the other side. It is only a very short ride. You could throw a rock and hit the other side. It just saves time.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Englishtown Ferry

You will wait no more than a few minutes and it is a scenic spot.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Englishtown Ferry

We just fished there the other day...we didnt catch any mackeral but we did have a nice walk all along the beach.

Englishtown
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Englishtown Ferry

If your going to be making a number of trips on the ferry it is cheaper to buy a book of tickets, approx. 25.00 for 20 crossings. You buy them onboard and they only take cash.Usually they're lined up on the North Shore side latter in the day and the Englishtown side earlier in the day.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Englishtown Ferry

You can also buy them at that General Store close by too.

7. Re: The Englishtown Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 21:16