We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape breton island tour.

Dalton, Pennsylvania
6 posts
Save Topic
cape breton island tour.

we are coming from PEI on ferry to Pictou and want to do the whole cape breton island tour. what routes would you suggest to cover whole island. we plan to spend two nights - is that enough? how do you recommend we break up the trip and where to spend the two nights. I would appreciate your help since i find it hard to judge time and distance on the online sites. could you respond in miles? thanks so much.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape breton island tour.

Welcome to tripadvisor.

Two nights in Cape Breton will barely give you a taste. It would help if we knew your interests: here is some of what Cape Breton has to offer: incredible scenery, celtic music, whale watching, bird watching, hiking, kayaking, history, etc.

When are you coming?

Dalton, Pennsylvania
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cape breton island tour.

we're coming Oct 7 & 8. we're seniors and like mostly to drive and view scenery, take short walks, and of course eat lobster. we usually are history buffs, but on this trip, would rather take in the sights than do too much museums, etc.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cape breton island tour.

With that little time, if you want a fairly relaxed pace I would recommend you just stick to the Cabot Trail.

Here is a route:

http://g.co/maps/shjax

I don't know where you are going after Cape Breton, so I just had the route go back to Pictou.

You will need to learn to use the search feature here to get information about various places en route.

You can also go here: www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

You should check into Fortress Louisbourg. You may want to make an exception to not looking into history. It is amazing.

www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/index.aspx

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cape breton island tour.

Ok, once you leave the ferry , it is about 2 hours to get to the entry point onto Cape Breton Island . With only 2 days on the island you want to travel up the west coast that first day to at least the Margaree or Cheticamp areas. The next day , travel around the Cabot trail, and aim to stay maybe in Sydney that night , the next day you can be off the island in 2-3 hours on Route 4 .

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cape breton island tour.

The Celtic Colours international festival begins on Oct 7th so I hope you made reservations already. They have a website and maybe you can see a few shows along the way. www.celtic-colours.com

Dalton, Pennsylvania
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cape breton island tour.

we're coming from PEI to cape breton island on Oct. 7 and will stay 2 or possibly three nights before going on down to Halifax for several days.

Dalton, Pennsylvania
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cape breton island tour.

would you recommend staying a third night in order to stay and see the area around Braddock and Bras d'or before heading on down to Halifax?

the pas manitoba
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cape breton island tour.

We just finished our vacation on the East Coast. Although we are first timers, we went with our neighbours who are originally from PEI. We started our trip in Charlottetown area, then headed down to NB, staying in the Moncton area, on to Halifax and to Cape Breton. We went to Louisburg one day and travelled to a beautiful town called Beddeck. I have to say that this little town, and entire area was the highlight of our trip. Beddeck was nicely situated for starting the Cabot Trail the second day we were there. And if Royal Canadian Legions hold any interest, this town has the nicest legion (hands down!) that I have ever been to. It overlooks the ocean and is gorgeous. Right behind the legion, is the old legion which has been turned into a lobster house. For approx 25$ they serve you all the chowder, fresh bread, salad that you can eat. Then a full course lobster meal. Quick and great service. We stayed right on the main street of the little touristy town in a very clean and affordable motel. I loved this town, cabot trail, and all the sights in Cape Breton. Finishing the trail we headed back towards Pictou to catch the ferry back to PEI. We had no difficulty doing this in 2

perhaps closer to 3 days.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cape breton island tour.

You have some tough decisions to make. Yes you probably will want more time in Cape Breton, but it will come at the expense of somewhere else.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cape breton island tour.

This time of the year, you are dealing with shorter days , so you need to also plan around earlier closings at restaurants too. It's all about what you want to do and then deciding where you can do it , and then aim for those locations.

If you want music you head for Judique , Glenora , Mabou and North East Margaree and maybe Cheticamp. If you want hiking, you head for the Highlands . If you just want to cruise and take in the scenery , then it's easy , up Route 19 to Margaree Forks, loop inland to at least North east Margaree then back on the Cabot Trail full circle to North River and Englishtown , then over to Sydney and off the Island on Route 4 .