We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

Woodway, Texas...
10 posts
Save Topic
Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

All, I'm back again with one more request. Any suggestions on where our best chances will be to see a moose or two? At this point, we will be driving from Campobello back into Lubeck, ME, then crossing back into Canada at St. Stephen, then following the coastal route through Saint John, Hopewell Rocks, up to Moncton, then over to the cape to the Inverness area. We'll drive up the coast a bit toward Cheticamp before driving back down to Baddeck, then over to Sydney and Gabarus. Many thanks...Mike

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

The locals might know better than me but I have driven the areas you're talking about, and from what I saw the moose hotspot was in Cape Breton Highlands National Park, specifically the stretch of the Cabot Trail between the Skyline hiking trail and the Corney Brook campground (maybe not those exact boundaries but around that area). I drove this stretch once and dusk and once at dawn and saw a total of four moose from the road, plus another four while hiking the Skyline trail itself. I'm sure part of this was dumb luck and untypical but it's definitely their country, and remember to be there in the early morning or late evening if you're looking for moose.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 00:28
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

That area north of Cheticamp is well known for moose.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

We have tried to train the moose to come out when the tourists drive by , but they can't be trained.

There are moose ,occasionally on the rods from as far south as inverness ,or east as far as Lake o'law , to the tip of the Cape breton up by Dingwall

Most times from the entrance to the park to Pleasant Bay ,and on the Skyline trail is where there are then the most encounters .

Like last week , there was two walking through the village in cheticamp; on lawns,and on the back roads , rare but happens .

Woodway, Texas...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

Well, you guys need to try a little harder in getting them trained :) . Makes me think we should try to drive a little farther north from our overnight in Inverness than the original plan to turn around at Cheticamp and head back to Baddeck. We'll see how it goes.

Many thanks to you and all for the suggestions.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

I have lived in Nova Scotia all my life and have never seen a moose except at the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park (between Truro and Halifax). I do not live in Cape Breton but have been around the trail many times.

I would not plan my trip around trying to see one.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

Well, maryann is quite right that you can't expect to see a moose every day on every trip around the Cabot Trail in the park. I have guided professional photographers who came looking for moose , and some days were great and other days were useless, BUT the general area of the Skyline trail, Corney Brook and French Mountain in the early morning or early evening are best .

They are wildlife and during the day are under cover rather than by the sides of the roads. Hiking these areas will increase your chances.

I 've seen people standing on the Skyline Trail totally unaware there were two bears just down the hillside munching away.

Woodway, Texas...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

Many thanks to you both. We'll keep our fingers crossed that we'll spot one along the way. As for the bears, they can keep their distance.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

the bears are black bears and are usually very skittish. I've seen them near the park entrance , on the hill below the Skyline Trail and then just by the road going up to French Mountain . Have alway seen them in May , Never in the summer or fall .

9. Re: Moose sightings on Cape Breton and along NB Fundy coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:17