We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

I am planning a trip to the Cabot Trail in July 27 to 30 and I have 2 questions:

1. Where can I found historical data about fog times or alternatively what tips can help me evade fog in scenic parts?

2. We are currently staying the 3 nights in Cheticamp, and I am hesitating about whether Igonish views (in comparison) would justify to drive there (for last night for example or alternatively drive to PEI all the way around Igonish instead of straight south). Our main interest is scenic views and natural wonders. Any advice?

Thanks

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,821 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

You have picked a good time of year to avoid fog. You will get it sometimes in the early morning when the air is cool. It usually disappears soon as long as it is sunny.

The Cabot Trail is a circular loop and there is great scenery in the Ingonish area and again near Baddeck. I would tale one of the days you are staying in Cheticamp and drive around the trail (clockwise.)

You will find lots to do on the other day or two you are there.

It would be quicker to get to PEI from Cheticamp or Baddeck (almost three hours to the ferry in Caribou) than from Ingonish (four and a quarter hours).

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

The views and drive around through Ingonish is spectacular and personally I think is a must.

There are also some great restaurants, picnic parks and trails etc

If you want to take your time I would recommend staying last night in Baddeck rather than back to Cheticamp. Baddeck was the home Of Alexander Graham Bell who said

......“I have travelled around the globe. I have seen the Canadian and American Rockies, the Andes, the Alps and the Highlands of Scotland, but for simple beauty, Cape Breton outrivals them all......”

and Ingonish and area is definitely one.

Some great pics here

dangerous-business.com/2012/…

Hopefully the fog is mostly gone by then should be we are having a warmer than usual start but if not you could make millions if you find the cure!!!!

Good luck!

Edited: 01 July 2012, 21:05
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

In my opinion the Ingonish area is a lot more spectacular than the Cheticamp area. In comparison to the Ingonish/Meat Cove/Baddeck area I found the Cheticamp area a little boring. If you drive anti clockwise the best part of the Trail is over when you come to Cheticamp. Just my 2 cents of course.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

Boring ????

Cheticamp, anytime during the tourism season, is a vibrant Acadian village where countryside, culture and cuisine come together to provide a unique and memorable vacation. You will be visiting in the middle of their “Festival de l’Escaouette” and are guaranteed a good time.

On the entertainment side you will have lots to choose from. On the 27th you can either attend the festival ‘s “En direct de la campe” or go to listen to Nicole LeBlanc from 8-11 at the “Doryman” tavern. If neither of those interests you, drive 20 minutes south to Belle Cote for their snow crab and corn boil. At $15 it’s a steal. On the 28th see Glenn Graham (piano) and Rodney MacDonald (fiddle) at the Doryman from 2-6 followed by Sylvia LeLievre from 8-10 and a concert and jam session from 10 to midnight. On the 30th there is an Acadian/Scottish concert in Petit Etang. On top of all this, there’s free fiddle music at the all aboard Restaurant every night from 6-9.

Apart from music, you’re in the best area of Cape Breton for hiking. The Skyline Trail, about 15 minutes north of Cheticamp is one of the best, certainly one of the most picturesque, hikes in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. L’Acadien, Benjie’s Lake and Bog Trail, Le Chemin de Buttereau, Fishing Cove and MacIntosh Brook offer hikes at every level of difficulty.

Whale Watching, either out of Cheticamp or Pleasant Bay only ½ hour away, is the best on the Island. Most of the whale watching companies in the area guarantee results and in the Cheticamp, Pleasant Bay, Bay St Lawrence area they have about a 98% success rate. Sightings of humpbacks have been increasing steadily over the last few years.

While in Cheticamp don’t forget to visit the “Centre de la Mi Careme”, the “Cooperative Artisanale” and the Museum and Visitor’s Centre “Les Trois Pignons” to see the fabulous rug hooking of Madame LeFort. The local food alone - the Acadian dishes at the Acadian Restaurant co-located with the Cooperative Artisanale and the snow crab and lobster offered at the local restaurants like All Aboard, Le Gabriel and Seafood Stop - will enhance your experience in Cheticamp.

Boring?? – I think not!

Having outlined all the wonderful things you can do in the Cheticamp area, I would also totally agree with maryann-ns that you should take one of your days and travel around the Cabot Trail. It is considered the most scenic drive in Atlantic Canada. My favourite part of the Trail is the section from Cheticamp to cape North but the views down the east coast from Cape North to south of Smokey are also fabulous. Take the "alternate route through White Point and Neil's Harbour for some of the best coastal vistas on the Island.

Whatever you end up doing, have agreat Cape Breton vacation.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

Thanks a lot for your good advice. Wil try to adapt accordingly

I bet Graham Bell wasn't in Norway Fjords :-)

What's the difference in doing clockwise or counterclockwise ?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,821 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

It is a matter of preference or convenience or whether you want to be on the inside (clockwise) or outside lane. You will be stopping at well designed pull off spots to admire the views in either case.

I have a preference for clockwise because no matter how many times I see it, the first sight of the road meandering up the hills beside the ocean in the Cheticamp area is special. I thin this part of the trail is better going clockwise. It forms a great introduction to the National Park. I do also like the area north of Ingonish.

The scenery in Cape Breton is different than the Norway fjiords for sure. There are all kinds of beauty and beautiful spots. I have been to many places, but Cape Breton ranks up there for beauty.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

We have done the Trail dozens of times in both directions and I don't think one way is any better than the other - just different.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

Thanks folks. The place was absolutely wonderful. Views are outstanding anywere. Stayed one nigh in Ingonish and the 2 other nights in Cheticamp.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,821 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

That's great you enjoyed your trip here. When you get a bit of time could you post a trip report? That would be a big help to others.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to evade fog in Cabot Trail & what to do about Igonish?

I agree with Maryann, particularly accomodation and FOOD!!! Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island