We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to speak with people from B.C.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
631 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking to speak with people from B.C.

We are doing a trip to Nova Scotia in August. I have looked at several photos of Nova Scotia and read some other reviews on here saying that Cape Breton (Cabot Trail) resemble the scenery of B.C. Does this seem accurate? If you are from B.C. you would be able to understand this. I don't want to do alot of uncessary driving if we are going to see alot of the same thing.

Mentioned in this post
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,404 Reviews
Cape Breton Island, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,712 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to speak with people from B.C.

I am not from BC, but I have travelled extensively there as well as on Cape Breton. The terrain is different, as geologically speaking, Cape Breton Highlands are older than the BC mountains - thus the CB Highlands are not as rugged or as high. For lack of a better description the land is softer, more rounded than that of BC.

However the culture of Cape Breton is also completely different than that of BC, and you would do a great disservice to yourself and your son if you did not make the trip and take advantage of the experience. Vacations are more than just driving around looking at scenery.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to speak with people from B.C.

I agree completely.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to speak with people from B.C.

I just asked a friend who lived and worked in BC for 25 years and came back here 4 years ago and he agrees it's totally different but maybe it's not for you if you have your mind made up.

Besides the scenery the culture and history, music and general ambience is toally different.from BC.

Maybe you could let us know your interests and we might be more helpful?.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 23:16
Vancouver
Level Contributor
631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to speak with people from B.C.

We have every intention of going, would definately not miss it, but all I am asking how similar it is. Do I need to drive the whole Cabot Trail so I don't miss anything different or can I just see parts of it to get an idea? I am already going to be doing alot of driving.

Mentioned in this post
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,404 Reviews
Cape Breton Island, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,712 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to speak with people from B.C.

According to the answers you've received here and on your other post on the same subject, it is generally agreed that the two are not similar.

Only you can decide how much driving you want to do.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to speak with people from B.C.

I lived in BC for around 24 years and now in Nova Scotia for around 18 (plus every province in between) There is no way to compare the two as BC is a huge province with such a diversity that you would have to choose one small part of BC and ask if it compares to CB. Same as the people - the west coast of Vancouver Island, the Chilcotin ranch-land or the urban lower mainland around Vancouver to the Rockies present a incredibly wide range of cultural experiences.

For something unique? It isn't Cape Breton, which is beautiful, but the largest tides on this planet ecosystem of the upper Bay of Fundy would be my go-to place in Nova Scotia to experience something that is obviously very different than anyplace else in Canada - or should I say on this earth.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to speak with people from B.C.

Have a look at this 2 min video. There's way more that goes into a location than scenery, similar or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiN_glbTEz8

8. Re: Looking to speak with people from B.C.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 10:17