We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from halifax to cape breton

Allentown...
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from halifax to cape breton

We have an upcoming trip to cape breton in 2 wks....we are flying into halifax,renting a car and driving to cape breton for 7 days. We now have been told we should have flown into sydney.....too late....

Any suggestions of things to see on the way to break up the trip. Plan on stopping along the way for lunch,but perhaps there are things to see that we should tie in....

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from halifax to cape breton

If your objective is to visit Cape Breton, then you are best to take the fastest route to the Island which is Hwy 102 to Truro then the Trans Canada (Hwy 104) to the Canso Causeway, the entrance to Cape Breton Island. Driving time from the Halifax airport to the Canso causeway is about 3 hours. A good place to stop for lunch is Antigonish which is close to the halfway point. I would recommend Gabrieau's Bistro on the main street of Antigonish. Another good restaurant is "The Dragonfly" which is right on Hwy 104 just past "Mother Webb's" .

Once on Cape Breton, the route you take will depend on what you are doing on the Island.

Cheers

Allentown...
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from halifax to cape breton

Thank you for your info. We are heading to margaree riverview inn for 3 nights then on to sydney area for another 4 nights. We are really looking forward to it and hope we made the right arrangements to see all there is to see

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from halifax to cape breton

Not sure you need 4 nights in Sydney? What are your interests,? I would have thought 2 and then perhaps 2 in the Baddeck area. It is such an idyllic spot and lots to do and see either there or in easy distance.

Hope you have a great visit whatever you decide..

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from halifax to cape breton

I will caveat my remarks by stating up front that my wife and I operate a B&B in Sydney and are likely somewhat prejudice towards our own area. We have, however travelled extensively around the Province, particularly in Cape Breton, and have visited most tourist sites in Nova Scotia. More importantly, we have 13 years of experience guiding our guests around the Island and finding out, through direct contact with them, what sites and activities most of them really enjoy.

I don't particularly agree with Lulu on the 4 nights in Sydney vs 2 in Sydney and 2 in Baddeck. Having arrived in Sydney off the Cabot Trail you really have only 3 full days in the area. If you have even a modicum of interest in history, one full day will be taken up at the Fortress of Louisbourg. If you feel that the full day is too much at the Fortress then you may be interested in doing the newly developed Louisbourg Lighthouse hiking trail starting at the site of the oldest lighthouse in North America and running out and back along the rugged sea coast. That evening you could attend the "ceilidh" at the Louisbourg Playhouse (www.louisbourgplayhouse.com). The Louisbourg Playhouse, built originally for the Disney movie "Squanto, A Warrior's Tale" shot inside the Fortress, was sold to the Town of Louisbourg for $1 and moved into the present day Town of Louisbourg. They hold a local ceilidh there every night from mid June to mid October from 8-10 PM. It's a wonderful venue and throughout the seasom hosts some of the best entertainers on the Island.

Another day you could do a day trip around a portion of the Bras d'Or Lakes (actually a large "inland sea") hitting the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck and the Highland Village in Iona. That evening you could likely find more local entertainment in downtown Sydney, particularly if you are here for Sydney's action week from August 4-12. Sydney's "Rock the Dock" on the 9th, 10th and 11th of August will provide really good entertainment at an absurdly low price.

The other local site really worth taking your time to visit is the Cape Breton Miner's Museum in Glace Bay 20 minutes from Sydney. Many of our B&B guests consider the associated underground tour with an old retired coal miner one of the highlights of their visit to Nova Scotia. The Miner's Museum will take only half of your day. If you are interested, you could spend the other half doing the "Bird Island Boat Tour" out to the puffin colony on Bird island just off Big Bras d'Or. It is a fascinating tour.

All this to say that you have "made all the right arrangements to see all there is to see".

Cheers

5. Re: Traveling from halifax to cape breton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island