We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upcoming trip to Sydney and Baddeck - Please help/advise

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
upcoming trip to Sydney and Baddeck - Please help/advise

Hi! I've written to the few tour operators that I have found online but I am hoping that someone on this forum can help me as I couldn't find any of these tour operators on the BBB and I am a female travelling alone, so I am concerned about safety, not just customer service.

I am from Toronto and I am coming this upcoming weekend to Sydney for a friend's wedding. I have never been out east before and I am coming by myself. I have some vision problems and therefore will not be renting a car while I am out there are it will be a completely unfamiliar area to me.

My trip is fairly short. I am flying in to Sydney on Thursday evening. My friends (the ones getting married) are picking me up Friday around noon and taking me out to Baddeck, which is where the wedding will be. I will be in Baddeck Friday evening and Saturday during the day. The wedding is Saturday evening. Then Sunday I have to get back to Sydney (though I am not sure how yet) and I fly home Monday early morning.

I realize this does not leave me a lot of time to tour around and see much. I was wondering if there are any short guided tours you would recommend for:

a) Friday morning in Sydney - and what to do with my luggage

b) something to do in Baddeck for Friday evening and/or Saturday morning

c) how to get back to Sydney Sunday morning from Baddeck (with my luggage) and any tours for that entire day

I would really love to arrange some tour with a few stops to take pictures as I love scenery but I'm not much of a hiker especially because of my vision. The Miner's Museum sounds great to me as well as the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. I just worry that arranging all this myself by taxi would end up being very pricey.

My hotels are already booked, both in Sydney and in Baddeck. I guess I am looking for advice on what to do and how to get around.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Debbie

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: upcoming trip to Sydney and Baddeck - Please help/advise

Do you know anyone else who will be at the wedding?

Could your friends arrange a drive for you at least to Sydney with their parents or some other friends?

Other than that you would have to rely on taxis.

There is a tour operator, Don Blackwood, who gets great reviews here and on Cruisecritic.com. He may be available, but he would not be cheap. However he could look after your luggage and give you a great tour with the time you have.

novascotia.com/en/…2230

For Baddeck on the Friday evening you could just stroll around the village. Saturday morning you could visit the Bell Museum. I believe this would involve a short taxi ride.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: upcoming trip to Sydney and Baddeck - Please help/advise

Acadian Bus Lines has a daily bus from Baddeck to Sydney, depart 21:30, arrive 22:45. http://www.acadianbus.com/

So, you may want to consider finding a whole day tour from Baddeck.Such as the Bannockburn all day Cabot trail tour, www.visitbaddeck.com/adventure/bannock.html

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: upcoming trip to Sydney and Baddeck - Please help/advise

Ron what great suggestions!

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: upcoming trip to Sydney and Baddeck - Please help/advise

thank you so much for the advice! I am going to make some more calls tomorrow.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: upcoming trip to Sydney and Baddeck - Please help/advise

Just to point out for others who may see this thread in the future (I'm assuming the OP is travelling before then), the owners of the Acadian Bus Line have announced that they will discontinue the bus line's service by November 30.

thechronicleherald.ca/business/124606-acadia…

6. Re: upcoming trip to Sydney and Baddeck - Please help/advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 08:17