We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic whale watching tour

washington dc
Level Contributor
725 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic whale watching tour

We will be in Cape Breton next week Sep 19-21. I realize that wildlife can be unpredictable and there are mainly pilot whales in the area but would like to take in good scenery and varied geographical features as much as possible.

In that case would you suggest we use the boat tour out of St Lawrence bay or Pleasant Bay or Cheticamp?

Also, do all boats provide hydrophone to listen to whales?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic whale watching tour

St. Lawrence Bay, for sure. A friend who grew up in Ingonish said that there was amazing whale watching. Check out Oshans......we are going to be there in early October and will definitely hit is up.

Have fun !

washington dc
Level Contributor
725 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic whale watching tour

Thanks, St lawrence bay it si then :)

Oshan has 3 boat trips, 10:30, 1:30 and 4:30

Any idea which would be the best time? Is morning better than other times for the whales to be feeding?

Thanks

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic whale watching tour

I think you will find whales all along that coast. I have gone from Cheticamp twice and see lots of whales both times.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499218-i11149-k528…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154972-i830-k55350…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154972-i830-k29939…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154972-i830-k46325…

washington dc
Level Contributor
725 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic whale watching tour

Thank you, Maryann

I notice that you are an expert on the region...

Any idea which location would be a more SCENIC trip?

Since wildlife could be unreliable we at least want to make sure that we see the best rock formations, coastal scenery etc.

Thank you so much

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic whale watching tour

I am no expert, but can tell you that whole west coast is scenic. I have spent time in Cheticamp, had lunch in Pleasant Bay, but I have not been to Bay St. Lawrence. It and Meat Cove are on my ever lengthening bucket list.

washington dc
Level Contributor
725 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic whale watching tour

Thanks

We so look forward to our Nova Scotia trip :)

Halifax, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic whale watching tour

It's all scenic- but Bay St. Lawrence/Meat Cove is spectacular. Even if there aren't whales the boat trip is stunning. Get in contact with Oshan. Enjoy your Nova Scotia trip.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic whale watching tour

Check out the Zodiac in Pleasant Bay owned by Wesley's as I understand they are allowed to sail closer to a whale than the motorized fishing boats .

9. Re: Scenic whale watching tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:17