We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

High Bridge, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

My college-aged daughter and I would like to spend several days hiking and possibly backpacking in Nova Scotia. Cape Breton sounds beautiful but is hard to get to without a car. We would be taking a train from Montreal to Halifax. Any suggestions for places to hike/backpack?

toronto
Level Contributor
304 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

Can you consider renting a car when you arrive in Halifax? Nova Scotia is very much a driving tour kind of vacation destination, lots of different sights, spread all around. For hiking - my first choice would be Cape Breton Highlands National Park - spectacular scenery. The Mabou Highlands southwest of the park (but still on Cape Breton) have a famous hiking trail also. On the mainland, Kejimkujik National Park (I have not visited the larger "main" section inland, but have visited the beautiful Seaside Adjunct which has several kms of hiking trails). Taylor Head Provincial Park has a shorter but very nice trail, and - almost fogot - Cape Chignecto Provincial Park is very popular with backpackers (I've only done day hikes in it).

2. Re: Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 18:48
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,005 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

^ Mmmm - SPAM, my favourite hiking food! lol

High Bridge, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

Thanks for the info....I will definitely look into Cape Chignecto (I haven't read about that one) I think we may drive the whole way so we can access each island. Thanks again.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

Yes, you really will need a car both on the mainland and in Cape Breton.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

Cape Chignecto is great if you are looking for wilderness hikes. The 3-4 day coastal trail is remote and rugged, wth incredible views. There are options to break it up into day hikes. No drive in camping, but some camp sites are a short walk into, while others are a tough day of hiking. Some cabins available along the trail. If you are looking for some of the best coastal wilderness hiking in Canada, Cape Chignecto is the place to go on the east coast. www.capechignecto.net

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

There is also some hiking available near Economy, NS - Devil's Bend is a great trail with several viewing platforms and Economy Falls is worth a look. The nearby Kenomee Trail gives backpacking opportunities, as it has 3 camping sites.

High Bridge, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

Wow that's a new one to discover. I will check it out and thank you for responding.

9. Re: Hiking/backpacking Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island