We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended 2-day itinerary from Dingwall to Halifax?

Washington DC...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended 2-day itinerary from Dingwall to Halifax?

We're planning a 7-night trip to Cape Breton in mid-August, arriving and departing from Halifax. We'll make the long drive north, then spend our first five nights in Dingwall (at the Markland); we'll go hiking, biking, whale-watching, etc. Next, we have two days and two nights to make our way back to Halifax. Ideally we'd like to spend a day in a Francophone area (maybe Cheticamp - is it very touristy? How is the Festival de l'Escaouette?). We might also try to find a salmon fishing guide who could work with two complete beginners for a half day. We'll need to leave a half-day for the drive south. And we'd like stroll around Halifax and have dinner there before our morning flight the next day. This may be too much to squeeze in.... Grateful for any and all suggestions.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended 2-day itinerary from Dingwall to Halifax?

I don't find Cheticamp too touristy which is why I recommend it. You will get a peek at Acadian culture. Perhaps you can read this recent thread and contact Yvette for more information: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k65572…

For salmon fishing, I can't help you but the Margaree area is famous for this and there are guides.

You can get to Halifax in a few hours from there and stroll the wonderful waterfront.

Washington DC...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended 2-day itinerary from Dingwall to Halifax?

Very helpful, Maryann - thanks. I forgot to ask in my original post: Any strong recommendations for lodging in or near Cheticamp and Halifax?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended 2-day itinerary from Dingwall to Halifax?

For Cheticamp I have no recommendations. Here is the TA listing: www.tripadvisor.ca/HACSearch?geo=499215

www.tripadvisor.ca/HACSearch…

And here are the government listings: novascotia.com/en/…

For Halifax you pay dearly for the convenience of being downtown. You are coming at a very busy time and may find it difficult to find places to stay. There are a couple places out on the St. Margaret's Bay Road and in the Bayer's Lake area that are quite handy for driving into the city.

www.tripadvisor.ca/HACSearch?geo=154976

If you can find a place in Dartmouth near the ferry that would be great. I have stayed at the Blockhouse B&B which is very nice and close to the ferry. tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154974-d1151400…

novascotia.com/en/…

Edited: 17 June 2013, 14:14
Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended 2-day itinerary from Dingwall to Halifax?

If you are interested in Cheticamp both Maison Fiset and Cheticamp Outfitters have excellent reviews and have I have fist hand glowing reports.

Re Salmon fishing there are guides in the Margaree area, The Normaway inn can arrange for you.

www.normawayinn.com., one in particular is David Logan on Egypt Road.

Mabou, inverness has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world if you want to just relax.

Another interesting stop on the way to Halifax would be Gusborough, maybe Des Barres Inn or Seawind in Charlois Cove. Guysbrough is reinventing itself as a Ecotourism destination and has some terrific spots with beautiful scenery.

Great article here.

www.saltscapes.com/index.php…

You can then travel marine drive along the Eastern shore to Dartmouth and Halifax, takes aprrox an 1/2 h to hour longer than highway but on a clear day well worth it beautiful coastline. Great hike at Taylors Head park. Good info here you would not need to join.

http://friendsoftaylorhead.com/

Clam Harbour and Martinique beaches are spectacular, By mid August if timing right, catch incoming tide over hot sand great swimming warm water. Be hard to beat anywhere in the world for unspoilt beauty.

Hope you have great visit.

Washington DC...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended 2-day itinerary from Dingwall to Halifax?

Lulu: Many thanks for these detailed recommendations. By coincidence, we just reserved one night at Maison Fiset - it sounds great. I'll look into your other ideas, too. I'm also going to follow Maryann's suggestion and try to find a place near the Dartmouth ferry for our last night, in Halifax - looks like a good location between the city and the airport, and I like the idea of seeing the harbor by taking the ferry in. If anybody has specific referrals for a B&B in that area I'd be glad to hear them. Again, thanks. Ben

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended 2-day itinerary from Dingwall to Halifax?

Unfortunately there are only two places within walking distance of the Dartmouth Ferry Terminal. I already mentioned the Blockhouse B&B. The other one, the newly named Oceanview Hotel (former Super 8) has mixed reviews: tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154974-d259438-…

http://goo.gl/maps/VuN3v

If you wish to go further afield and park at the Ferry Terminal then there are more options.

7. Re: Recommended 2-day itinerary from Dingwall to Halifax?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island
Recent Conversations