We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Toronto
5 posts
Save Topic
Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a 2 week trip around the maritimes (I know it's a bit short). Basically, coming from toronto it has been decided by my girlfriend and myself that we will only have time to either go up from Pictou to Cape Bretton and the Cabot Trail, OR go down through Halifax and Peggy's Cove and around Annapolis Valley.

We are going on our trip in mid July and we are both young (early 20s) are primarily looking for scenery, beaches, quaint towns etc. for our trip.

Around this time of year, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Daniel

Mentioned in this post
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,404 Reviews
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Hi Daniel,

I see you encountered some technical difficulties when trying to post your question. I apologize for the inconvenience, and I'm bumping up your topic for you.

Thanks,

Dan

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

You are wise to limit yourselves. However we cannot choose for you. Both would give you an excellent time. Check out descriptions of some of these places on www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Also go here and read some previous trip reports. They should give you some ideas: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…

You can also go to the search feature below and put in some of the things or places which interest you and see some previous posts.

You could also search using terms such as seven days (or however many you have) to see previous trip plans.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Both have beaches and small towns. (quaint part varies a bit)

If I was trying to decide, I would choose between worn rolling mountain scenery (Cape Breton/Cabot) or seaside fishing village scenery (Peggys, South Shore, Lunenburg).

I wouldn't plan on too much time in the Valley as it's lovely but a bit similar to Niagara winery/orchards area.

Another choice factor might be accommodation. There aren't a lot of hotels in either place, but there are more towards Halifax/south shore. If you aren't into b&bs or small hotels, that might be a vote for the Halifax/South Shore area. If you're camping both areas are fine.

Guess you may have to flip a coin and plan to go back!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

It's all in your interests....Halifax has history/culture/arts and a big bar scene, do you want that sort of thing mixed in with seeing Peggy's Cove/Lunenburg? Or would prefer the more outdoorsy camping aspect that can be found in Cape Breton?

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Cape Breton is less populated and has some wilder scenery. there are plenty of places to stay and of all types. There is also the vibrant celtic music scene.

Lunenburg and the South Shore have wonderful coastal scenery and some picturesque small villages. With the larger population come more shops and restaurants.

I love both areas.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Chicago
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

I'm not sure why you couldn't split your time between the two.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

If you enjoy sandy beaches it's the perfect time of year and Nova Scotia has many on the South shore, then Martinique and Clam Harbour just outside of Dartmouth which are not to be missed miles of sandy beach with hardly anyone during the week!!!

The Ceilidh Trail in CB around Inverness and Port Hood also wonderful beaches with warm water for swimming.. Are you camping or B&B's you don't mention accommodation or eats???

3 or 4 nights in CB would be great to see most a couple of nights in Cheticamp area and then couple more over towards Baddeck area.

Lunenburg area 2 nights give you time to explore that area only just over an hour from Halifax?

Leave the Annapolis Valley for another trip and it is best seen towards the end of September or early October when all the farm markets are overflowing and the grapes are ready for harvest at the wineries.

Hope that helps a bit and you have great visit.

Edited: 22 June 2013, 23:14
Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Baddeck
Baddeck
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

We will be staying in B&Bs. Also we decided on Annapolis Valley only because it is on our route around the Southern tip of NS.

We dont want to "repeat" any areas on our driving route so we figured instead of going back from Lunenburg/mahone bay the same way we came we would go around Yarmouth and Annapolis Valley.

Is this not wise? I'm not sure if there is too much worth seeing over that way.

thanks for the help!!

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Yes there are lovely beaches, coves, villages etc but not sure you have the time to go all the way around, should take at least 2 days?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

If you are sticking to mainland Nova Scotia, you will have lots of time. Do let us know if you have any more questions.

Mentioned in this post