We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Toronto
5 posts
Save Topic
Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a 2 week trip around the maritimes (I know it's a bit short). Basically, coming from toronto it has been decided by my girlfriend and myself that we will only have time to either go up from Pictou to Cape Bretton and the Cabot Trail, OR go down through Halifax and Peggy's Cove and around Annapolis Valley.

We are going on our trip in mid July and we are both young (early 20s) are primarily looking for scenery, beaches, quaint towns etc. for our trip.

Around this time of year, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Daniel

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Did you decide to miss Cape Breton then obviuosly you have time to do Southwest Loop, your original post mentioned either/ or?

I can't imagine coming to Nova Scotia and skipping CB it is our Jewel in the Crown, you could easily go and then just drive to Wolfville over to Lunenburg and up to Halifax you would have the time.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Man that's a hard choice but I understand the time contraints. We just did almost 5000km in 10 days so we could "see it all". What we saw was alot of ashphalt and spruce trees because of this decision. Personally, Peggy's Cove took my breath away, but it's kind of a little stop. Pull in take lots of pictures and then pull out again. We might have spent 45 min. to an hour there and it was only because I took pictures of every inch of the place (and we got there before the tour buses started rolling in so we didn't need to fight for space). We also did the Cabot Trail but it's a different kind of beauty. Winding roads that climb and climb, and climb up through the mountains (roads not for the faint of heart) The Cabot Trail might be more fun as there are other places to stop and see along the way...little shops and a few villages etc. If you just want a beautiful piece of East Coast scenery then head to Peggy's Cove.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

You should try to add in the upper Bay of Fundy, especially the Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or area. With the largest tides on earth meeting the towering sea cliffs of this unique area it is one of the most ruggedly scenic places in eastern Canada. It has miles of wild beaches, some of the best wilderness hikes in the country and quaint villages such as Five Islands, Port Greville, Parrsboro and Advocate Harbour. Known for its hiking and sea kayaking there are also excellent opportunities for awesome scenery at places like the lighthouse park at Five Islands, Cape d'Or with its lighthouse and the Dory rips and the trails at the Eatonville Entrance to Cape Chignecto and at Red Rocks.

Here is a utube video about the trails and paddling at Cape Chignecto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCSwxh2mMMA

Link to Cape Chignecto Park

novascotiaparks.ca/parks/cape-chignecto.asp

A blog on novascotia.com about experiences on the upper Bay of Fundy

novascotiablogs.com/2012/09/bucket-list-kaya…

Hamilton, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

We are looking for house rental near Greenwood NS. To sleep 8 - 10 for 4 - 5 nights around July 26 2014.

Cape Breton Island...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Daniel, I would highly recommend Cape Breton - If you take the Ceilidh Trail route to the Cabot Trail, you pretty much follow the coast line all the way from the causeway. The villages of Port Hood, Mabou, and Inverness are beautiful and all unique - Inverness has a gorgeous sandy beach (and being on the gulf side the waters are extremely warm) that you can walk on forever (the main beach is supervised by lifeguards), and the Beach Village in Inverness has great cottages that are right on the beach. The Cabot Trail is breathtaking and it is also an easy drive - you can go around in a day or two or extend the trip for several days by stopping in all the scenic fishing villages to explore! You will not be disappointed if you choose Cape Breton!!! :)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,554 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

Lorraine, you should have started your own thread. However, we won't likely be able to help you. Here is the NS website for places to stay: novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx

17. Re: Which Part of Nova Scotia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island
Recent Conversations