We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tran Canadian Highway

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Tran Canadian Highway

Google Maps is giving me a couple of options on driving from Buffalo to Cape Breton; one way is over to Boston and up the east coast on I-95 through Maine into Saint Stephen and then up to Moncton while the other would go through Montreal, Quebec City and then over to Moncton. The southern route is only shown as being 50 miles shorter.

Anyone have a recommendation and/or suggestion on either route?

TIA

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,929 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tran Canadian Highway

I guess it is your choice. You don't see much from main highways but going through Quebec may be interesting if you have not done this before. How many nights do you plan to spend on the road to get here? There will be traffic around Montreal.

The Canadian part is all divided highway except for the stretch in northern New Brunswick until somewhere past New Glasgow, NS. They are working on this and maybe someone can give an update. I last went two years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Quebec
Quebec
Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
New Glasgow
New Glasgow
Nova Scotia, Canada
Toronto, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tran Canadian Highway

I travel from Toronto to Cape Breton at least twice a year via the 401 hwy in Ontario (100kph) and the Trans Canada in Quebec (100kph & 90 kph), New Brunswick (110kph) and Nova Scotia (110kph & 100kph). It takes me about 23 hours of driving (which includes gas & pit stops). The main problems you will find with this route is mile after mile of sameness. When approaching Montreal on hwy 20 you have a choice of highways to get to the other side of the city. 1 - Hwy 20 goes thru Montreal across the St, Lawrence River and along the South Shore. 2 - Hwy 40 goes thru Montreal on the North Shore and some time before Quebec City you will have to go across the River and connect with hwy 20. 3 - Hwy 30 (not on any maps yet as it just opened) is a bypass to Montreal and will connect you with hwy 20 east of the city and saves a lot of time and trouble. The half way point between Toronto and Cape Breton is Edmunston, New Brunswick. For someone from the US using this route be aware that gas prices vary greatly (Quebec then Nova Scotia being the most expensive, and New Brunswick the least) and all are a lot more than you pay in the United States. Also on some sections of the Trans Canada roadside gas stations are few and far between, so do not let your gas get too low. Another consideration, motels and food, are well above what you are used to. Hope this will help with your decision.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
North Shore
North Shore
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
United States
United States
North America
Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tran Canadian Highway

John B You could travel to CB the Canadian way and then return going back through the USA. You can make better time on our Trans Canada because of the higher speed limits and fewer trucks .

To do a loop ,you can travel back home across to NY on USA Route 2 from Bangor which is a lovely trip .

Just get to CB !!!!

Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Nova Scotia, Canada
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tran Canadian Highway

Thanks for the responses. This is exactly the type of insight I was seeking.

5. Re: Tran Canadian Highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 05:18