We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

narrowing down our summer itinerary: help...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
narrowing down our summer itinerary: help...

Hi there,

We are planning to drive from St. Andrews to Cape Breton and stay 3 nights before driving on to PEI. We will be there end of June into the first day or two of July. We are two adults, 2 kids (11 and 14) and a dog.

Things we want to do are the Alexander G Bell museum (which will not be open until our 2nd/3rd day due to June still being low season), and a couple of nice hikes (not too taxing as hubbie has knee problems). (**Can the dog hike anywhere with us or are there some restrictions? We ALWAYS have him on leash and ALWAYS scoop his poop by the way, so no need to ask:)) We have explored some pretty scenic places before, such as Newfoundland, Hawaii and Switzerland so I am hoping that we can still find even more beautiful scenery to WOW us. As I mentioned in a previous thread, we do NOT want to spend most of our time driving around to try to see it ALL, but would rather explore PARTS of Cape Breton and the trail in some detail, and not make the kids feel like the entire three days were go go go, no time to stop and smell the roses.

We have looked into staying at Island Sunset Resort near Margaree Harbour, and at the Keltic Lodge. These places take dogs and were recommended to us. Currently we are not tied to any place but would like to make our reservations in the next day or 2. I was originally thinking it made sense to come up the East side our first afternoon/evening and check into Keltic lodge, see that area for either one or two days (White Point Trail, Middle Head Trail, Niels Harbour..), and then drive around and stay at Island Sunset for the other one or two days to explore that side (Skyline Trail...) However, now that we cannot go to the museum until the end of the trip, I'm wondering if that still makes sense? Or does it make sense to just go straight to the West side and stay there the whole time? Part of the limitation is the dog.. some of the places I looked into are not pet-friendly. If anyone has any suggestions re changes that would make this make the most sense, I am totally open and would greatly appreciate it!!!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
898 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: narrowing down our summer itinerary: help...

Have you thought about staying in Baddeck, sight of AG Bell museum, for your east side stay? That would save some time in the car. You could hike Usige Ban Falls. Broadwater Inn has cabins and allows pets.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: narrowing down our summer itinerary: help...

OH, stay on the west side as that is the only side where you can watch the sun set into the water and there are lots of beaches for your boys .

Edited: 17 January 2014, 13:42
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: narrowing down our summer itinerary: help...

I would certainly go around the trail clockwise starting on the west side. As to how many nights in each place you will have to work that out. Margaree Harbour and Ingonish would be great areas to stay.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: narrowing down our summer itinerary: help...

As you travel up that west Coast in June, try to get to a fishing wharf around 11- noon and see the lobster boats coming in with their catches . Good experience for your boys to see . Just don't get in the way of the fishermen as they are often in a rush to unload, Good lobster dinners at a good price in Cheticamp at All Aboard or Harbour or others ; check their signs .

5. Re: narrowing down our summer itinerary: help...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:19