We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Family Holiday - thoughts on activities and eating!

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
August Family Holiday - thoughts on activities and eating!

We are planning a family holiday to NS this august. We will be travelling from London (UK) with our 2 children (ages: nearly 2 and 5yrs). They are well travelled so should be able to cope with driving and moving around. We are very active and into outdoors activities and wildlife.

We will be in NS for 2 and a half weeks, of which 7 nights will be on Cape Breton island.

We are planning on staying at the following places round the island and would really appreciate advice on some great walking trails or scenic spots for playing/exploring along this route, and any good pubs/restaurants for lunches or dinners. We really like good food (and drink!). :-)

- Glendora Inn, Glenville (1 night)

- Markland Coastal Beach Cottages, Dingwall (2 nights)

- Keltic Lodge, Ingonish (2 nights)

- Baddeck (2 nights)

We thought we'd whale-watch in Pleasant Bay on the way to Dingwall.

Any help would be great!

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Family Holiday - thoughts on activities and eating!

You have a good plan . Now Glenora is nice but it is inland whereas you might consider a cottage by the water in Mabou a few minutes South at a place called West Mabou, and Ceilidh Cottages. Far better for your kids and only within a 20 minute drive to Glenora if you want to do their single malt tour.

Check out the Red Shoe for fiddle music .

Cheticamp or Pleasant Bay for whale watching ; Not sure with small kids whether a Zodiac style boat or a typical fishing boat is best . Allow 3 hours for any whale watch .

Beaches good for your kids : Inverness , Chimney Corner , Margaree Harbour and near the breakwater at Belle Cote

Stops for your kids . The lobster pound and wharf in Belle Cote ; Margaree fish hatchery ; old Miller Trout farm : the wharf at Dingwall ; Black Rock Beach on way to Ingonish . There's sailboat tour in Baddeck that is great .

Suggest cabins at Macintyres in Baddeck; are large and good place for kids.

You can GOogle the whole cabot trail and even street view the whole Cabot trail , even to the wharf at Belle Cote .

Can send you a PM if you need more detail

Edited: 23 January 2014, 12:12
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August Family Holiday - thoughts on activities and eating!

Here is some information about places to eat. You can double check with more recent reviews on Trip Advisor: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/796950

For hiking you can check with the people in places you stay. Here is some information:

http://www.trails.gov.ns.ca/

http://www.moosebait.com/ Cape Breton trails

http://www.cabottrail.com/info/hiking.htm

You can also use the search feature below to find previous threads, putting in the name of the trail or perhaps the name of the community.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Family Holiday - thoughts on activities and eating!

sounds like a great plan. so nice to have someone who is not trying to rush through cape breton in 3 days. i haven't stayed here but made a point of stopping to look (i was camping...didn't see the actual inn). macleod's inn by inverness. the inn was down by the water and it looked like a really nice beach.

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Family Holiday - thoughts on activities and eating!

Hi,

I'm also planning a trip to Cape Breton (a little earlier than your trip), but here's a few things I've found (and a few things that we want to do while there) that you haven`t mentioned:

- Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck

- Giant MacAskill Museum in Englishtown

- Gaelic College St. Ann's

- Fortress at Louisbourg (everything I've read says it's a must do on the island but it's the only thing on the East side of the island that we've committed to doing)

- Meat Cove

As for the trails you do, I haven`t done any of them so I can`t give opinions..... yet :)

the following are 3 links to the forums that I found helpful so far:

tripadvisor.ca/…25746141

tripadvisor.ca/…53183352

tripadvisor.ca/…25746141

The ninth post in the 2nd link is a detailed report from one of your countrymen on their trip to Nova Scotia

The 3rd link actually has 6 pages of posts (57 replies) so you may find some nuggets of information in there.

Hope the planning (and the trip) goes well.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August Family Holiday - thoughts on activities and eating!

I am so glad I came across this thread.

My family with young children (7, 5, 3) are planning a trip in August as well.

I have been looking into different whale watching, and most suggest a zodiac is not recommended for children under 3. Even when talking with my husband about this excursion we both would feel more comfortable in a regular boat.

Unfortunately we do not have 7 days to stay on Cape Breton, so I am sure we will miss out on many great attractions and scenery.

6. Re: August Family Holiday - thoughts on activities and eating!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 05:15