We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 6-Hour Tour (Sydney-to-Sydney)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,512 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 6-Hour Tour (Sydney-to-Sydney)

Our cruise ship is scheduled to be in Sydney from 8am to 4 pm on July 8th. We are planning to rent a car and expect we can use it from 9am to 3pm. I am considering a drive around St. Andrew's Channel with stops in Baddeck and at the Highland Village Museum outside of Iona. According to Google Maps, the drive itself will take 3 hours. Will 3 hours be enough to see both the Bell house and museum in Baddeck and the Highland Village Museum? If not, which attraction would you recommend? (Based on what I've read about them in guidebooks, both places have about equal interest to me, but there may be something special about one place or the other that you may know about about which would tip in its favor.)

Thanks for any comments and recommendations regarding my planned itinerary--or any other suggestions on how to spend these 6 hours. (Our main interests are scenery and history.)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,188 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 6-Hour Tour (Sydney-to-Sydney)

You should have enough time to visit both museums and it is a lovely drive. However it depends upon how deeply you want to delve into either museum. Some people just do a walk through of the Bell Museum and are out in less than an hour.

The Highland Village Museum is worth visiting just for its spectacular setting. This year they will have costumed animators taking on the roles of early settlers to explain the lives of the first Scottish settlers.

So be aware of driving times and pace yourselves accordingly. I would consider picking up a sandwich and drink or similar in Baddeck that you can have along the road.

If you are not aware of it, the sister website and forum to TripAdvisor is CruiseCritic. It is well worth visiting, especially to the forum and to the Roll Calls where you can meet other people taking the same cruise and possibly make plans with them.

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

tripadvisor.ca/…57623877

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 6-Hour Tour (Sydney-to-Sydney)

Travel to Iona first and allow at least an hour and a half plus your time at the Bell to get back to Sydney .That way you have the better/faster highway working your way back .

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,188 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 6-Hour Tour (Sydney-to-Sydney)

That is a good idea. Here is the route: http://goo.gl/maps/0wZzk

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,512 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 6-Hour Tour (Sydney-to-Sydney)

Thank you both for your suggestions--just what I was looking for!

5. Re: Suggestions for 6-Hour Tour (Sydney-to-Sydney)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island