We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best swimming areas/waterfalls?

Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best swimming areas/waterfalls?

Hi

My family and I will be in Cape Breton Island for about 8 days end of June/early July. We are staying in Cheticamp for the first 4 nights, after that it is open. We plan to drive the Cabot Trail and do plenty of hiking. For those of you who have traveled here, are there any swimming spots that are a must see? Waterfalls?

My other question is with the remaining few days after we leave Cheticamp, I'm wondering if we should drive around the rest of the area and check out Sydney or Halifax, or even check out PEI. Again, it would only be for about 3-4 more days. We are traveling with my 9 year old son. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,978 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best swimming areas/waterfalls?

You could check out the falls near Baddeck: http://visitbaddeck.com/uisge-ban-falls/

You do not mention Fortress Louisbourg. This is a very accurate historical reconstruction of part of the fortress. The plans and detailed information about who lived there and what they did were archived in France. The fortress played an important part in the history of the conflict between the British and the French for control of eastern North America, including Boston. When you go you are immersed into the year 1744. Be sure to eat in the restaurant or pub. You should allow about four hours for your visit. You can get there in a short drive from Baddeck and area.

If you have a few days I would go to Halifax, briefly and then along the coast to Lunenburg, taking in Peggy's Cove. This is a scenic area and Lunenburg has a great fisheries museum with two old fishing boats to explore.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best swimming areas/waterfalls?

one beach i saw that looked nice was at macleods inn / campground by inverness. i camped in cheticamp for 2 nights. first day i drove part of the cabot trail, explored, etc. then returned to the campground for the night. (went into town once...didn't have a good feeling about cheticamp). next day i headed off on the trail again and explored some more on my way to baddeck where i stayed for 2 or 3 nights. one more day to explore the trail would have been good. i left baddeck early one morning to get to fortress louisburg when it opened. spent about 4 hours there and then i would recommend that you drive and stay at pictou for a night - cute little town. next day you could enjoy sometime at caribou munros provincial park beach and then head into halifax for your remaining nights.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,978 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best swimming areas/waterfalls?

Inverness has a great beach and there are quite a few others on the west coast of Cape Breton.

As for Cheticamp, I really like it. There is the famous rug hooking - visit the cooperative. The church is interesting. There is Acadian cuisine and music and great whale watching.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 22:37
Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best swimming areas/waterfalls?

Your best beach with a 9 year old would be Chimney Corner ; it's warmest ,sheltered .

But weather is behind this year so not sure how warm the water will be that early .

Next would be Whale Cove and next Margaree Harbour .

Since you are driving from Boston , I would leave CB and go to PEI and get a cottage there near Cavendish and then you can leave on the bridge and travel the Fundy Coast of NB on your way back .

Edited: 07 June 2014, 13:15
5. Re: Best swimming areas/waterfalls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island