We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days for Cabot Trail

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
2 days for Cabot Trail

My husband and I have a cottage in Baddeck for a week, Aug 17 to 24. We'd like to spend 2 days driving the loop from Baddeck around the Cabot Trail and back to Baddeck. We will want to stop for short hikes (up to 2 hours or so) and pull-off overlooks.

Having studied maps and many Trip Advisor posts, I have developed this tentative plan -- and associated questions.

Driving counterclockwise, we plan to leave Baddeck and go toward Ingonish. The most scenic stops for day one might be (your opinion on this, please) Freshwater Lake Look-off, hike to Middle Head, hike to Broad Cove, short walk to Green Cove, and look around Neil's Harbour. Still on day one, we would drive on to spend the night somewhere between South Harbour and Pleasant Bay. Where would you recommend? We are not especially price sensitive and prefer good (but not necessarily fancy) food and beds.

At this point, let me also ask your advice on whether to stick to the Cabot Trail proper or to do the Coastal Loop including White Point -- or alternatively, saving the extra miles for a side trip to Dingwall?

Okay, so we stay overnight somewhere on the top side of the loop. On day two, we think the highlights might be Benji's Lake hike, the Bog, and the Skyline hike. Then, driving home to Baddeck.

What say you? Are there gems we have missed? Can you recommend a good place to stay for our overnight halfway point?

BTW, since we have a week in Baddeck, we can hope to keep an eye on the weather forecast and shift our trip a day or two, if weather dictates. And we will do kayaking and music stuff from our base in Baddeck, so no need to work that into the Cabot Trail days.

Thanks a lot!

Jennifer

Mentioned in this post
Baddeck
Baddeck
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,405 Reviews
Ingonish
Ingonish
Pleasant Bay
Pleasant Bay
Dingwall
Dingwall
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days for Cabot Trail

You have done your research and I think you have a good plan. I have not done most of these hikes and have not done the route to White Point so I cannot comment but here is a recent thread with information:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154972-i830-k76274…

The Middle Head Trail is short and has good views at the end. The Skyline Trail is spectacular.

As for where to stay you can check on www.novascotia.com and on Trip Advisor.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g499214-Cape_North_Cap…

tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g1523026-Pleasant_Bay_…

tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g1523026-Pleasant_Bay_…

Here is a map showing where some places are located. You can do a Google search to learn more about ones which interest you.

Mentioned in this post
Middle Head Trail
Middle Head Trail
268 Reviews
Skyline Trail
Skyline Trail
647 Reviews
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days for Cabot Trail

Thank you, MaryAnn NS. This is very helpful.

3. Re: 2 days for Cabot Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 07:15