We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Much to do in Sydney?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Desert, Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Much to do in Sydney?

I am planning a 2-week trip to Nova Scotia in the next couple of weeks. Should I allocate time for Sydney? Is there much to see or do there?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Much to do in Sydney?

I didn't stop there but I know someone who has lived there for years...she said she recommend people going elsewhere....that's from a "local".

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Much to do in Sydney?

I would tend to agree, Baddeck much better place for a base lots of accommodation choices, central to trail either way, good eats. Bell Museum well worth visit. Short trip to Iona to Highland Village, Easy drive into Louisbourg.

Uisge Ban falls great hike more info here:

www.visitbaddeck.com/adventure/bahn.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Much to do in Sydney?

Not Sydney specifically, but the area around there is great. As noted, Baddeck and Louisburg are two nearby places worth checking out.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Much to do in Sydney?

Hi Tom ~

With 2 weeks to spend you really would benefit by laying out your itinerary in a post on the NS Forum. Rough is fine. People will chip in to fine tune and help you along. I envy you two weeks just for NS. I've stayed in Sydney and agree that it is a plain jane city. I've also stayed in Baddeck and went round the Cabot Trail from there, enjoyed the town itself very much with the Alex Graham Bell Museum and outdoor things. It's a handy location for getting to Fortress Louisbourg, which IMO is a place to spend 5 hours at. Based on my interests, perhaps you won't be interested. Cheticamp is a unique town.

On the NS forum in first position is a sticky (push pin) for Trip Reports that others have left. Here is a link to that thread. Once there, look in the Original Post for a blue print link to the actual Reports. Might be quite helpful for your research:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k4427…

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Much to do in Sydney?

Just outside Sidney in Glace Bay is the Cape Breton Miner's Museum. I've never been but I heard it's quite good and tripadvisor reviews are great. Have a look at the link below....

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g154972-d1539…

6. Re: Much to do in Sydney?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 22:15