We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banking from US to AUS

Paso Robles...
1 post
Save Topic
Banking from US to AUS

I am moving to Australia for about five months and will be working while I am there. I want to have a bank account that my parents can access from the US so they can put money in it if need be and I can access it in AUS. Should I open an account like Citibank that is accessible in both US and AUS or should I just open an account in AUS and have my parents send me checks?

Thanks, Hannah

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banking from US to AUS

Hannah,

You ended up on the Nova Scotia, Canada site because we have a Sydney here.

Post again on the Sydney, Australia site.

You are going to a beautiful part of the world; enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banking from US to AUS

I'd also contact your financial institution and see what they recommend...

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banking from US to AUS

Hannah, I see you haven't posted in the Sydney, Australia forum yet, so I'll just answer you here.

You probably don't even need to open a new account with Citibank as long as your current bank is connected with an ATM system (such as Plus) in Australia. Most banks are so connected, but you can easily find out by asking someone at your bank. Then have the bank add your parents to your account. They will be able to access your account in the U.S. and you can withdraw money from ATMs in Australia. Also, if you do not already have a credit card, I would look into getting one as they are always useful when traveling overseas. (If you are student or recent grad, many banks will offer you a credit card with a low limit.)

This is how my son's good friend handled her money when she lived and worked in Australia last year for 7 months (and how we did a lot of our banking when we lived there for 3 years.)

Edited: 31 July 2014, 18:39
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,911 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banking from US to AUS

I have sent Hannah a message.

5. Re: Banking from US to AUS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2016, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Sydney