We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching and driving times from halifax

georgetown
4 posts
Save Topic
whale watching and driving times from halifax

I am visiting Nova Scotia next week with my 6 year old son. We are arriving around 9:30 p.m. to Halifax International airport. I am staying in Coldbrook that night to cut the drive time down for the next day. My question is how long of a drive will it be from Digby Neck whale watching tours back to Halifax? Google maps state that it may be up to 4 1/2 hours from Westport. Any suggested routes as well HWY 8 or HWY 10 or others?

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching and driving times from halifax

I know that people may disagree with me, but I generally expect it to take 3 hours from just outside Halifax to Digby. Not sure if that helps, but that's straight driving on the 101 highway.

Halifax Airport to Coldbrook is around just over an hour. I think there is a drive in movie place in Coldbrook, although you'll probably be too late to catch the movie.

While you are down in Digby, your 6 year old might really enjoy Upper Clements Park. It's geared towards kids in that age group. They have a web site you can check out.

georgetown
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching and driving times from halifax

Sounds like I would be better off staying in Annapolis Royal for two nights. Any suggestions for accomodations for my 6 year old son and I. Nothing fancy needed, just clean and efficient.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching and driving times from halifax

cgreno

Does it make sense to arrive at the airport at 9:30 p.m. , then to get through Customs,then to get the rental ( this might take a whole hour) and to go to Coldbrook? rather than stay near airport and hit the road in the morning??

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching and driving times from halifax

Like "caperbeach" I am wondering if you should be driving as far as Coldbrook with a 6 yr old after a 9:30 p.m. arrival in Hfx IF your flight is on time. Check www.novascotia.com for Lower Sackville & possibly the Windsor area accommodations. You will have a longer drive to Digby Neck in the morning but you & your son may be more rested.

I am happy to see Georgetown as your address. I spent 2 wonderful years in Gaithersburg, MD, & loved the DC area!

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whale watching and driving times from halifax

caperbeach

No, it's not something I would probably do, but I suggest you re-read mpluswimages post. I am simply answering it.

She stated she is arriving at 9:30. She also stated she is staying in Coldbrook. If this is something she's already decided, it is none of my business to talk her out of it. I just tried to answer her questions.

Feel free to talk her out of it if you don't agree, but don't criticize me for answering her question.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whale watching and driving times from halifax

cgreno

Wasn't meaning to be critical, rather trying to make sure we give this lady as much help as we can.

So, since this was your neck of the woods, thought that maybe you might want to double check what the lady proposes to do. The mere fact she has sort of decided might be , but then it may not be based on having knowledge of the times to get through customs, get your car and then how far she is driving late at night.

If her flight is late, she may not be on the road until 10:30 to 11:00 p.m.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whale watching and driving times from halifax

Good points, and you can address this with her rather than direct it to me.

8. Re: whale watching and driving times from halifax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 06:17