We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digby area and biking in NS

Which Digby hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Digby area and biking in NS

My boyfriend and I are planning a 10 day trip to NS in late July into early August. We have not figured exactly where we are going possibly the Digby area than on to Halifax region and Antigonish or Halifax area to Cape Breton to Antigonish. We will be taking the ferry from St. John NB to Digby and would like to explore Brier Island, Digby Neck and Annapolis Royal. If we wanted to spend a night or two in that area what would be a good town to base ourselves out of? We were hoping for a cute cozy town on the water.

Also we enjoy cycling and hiking and plan to spend our vacation enjoying the beauty of NS...........does anyone have any suggestions about great places for biking?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digby area and biking in NS

Yarmouth is cute enough....a bit of scenery that you may want to consider...

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Digby area and biking in NS

Here is some information about biking from last year:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k66253…

Annapolis Royal is a charming town and where I would suggest you consider staying.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,081 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Digby area and biking in NS

Agree with Annapolis Royal.

Yarmouth is not cute, and is close to 1.5 hours away from the area.

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Digby area and biking in NS

Is it worth staying in Digby?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Digby area and biking in NS

Disagree about Yarmouth....

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Digby area and biking in NS

I don't know if you are looking for a challenge for your cycling or not. If you are and want to take in some of the most awesome scenery in the province plus experience one of North America's natural wonders in the Bay of Fundy there is some great cycling along the Fundy Shore. (The Bay of Fundy is one of the Seven Natural Wonders of North America, along with the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, the Everglades, Niagara Falls, and the giant redwoods of California found in Sequoia National Park and Redwoods National Park) http://sevennaturalwonders.org/north-america/

Some of the best hikes in eastern Canada are there at Cape Chignecto Park. The upper Bay of Fundy is quite unique, with scenery at Cape Chignecto like the northern part of Cape Breton, with the added bonus of the largest tides on earth carving a seacoast into a spectacle of sea stacks and caves. The views from the highest cliffs on mainland Nova Scotia from the trails is awesome.

For the cycling, the road from Port Greville to Advocate will take you through some hills that afford fantastic views but will also get the heart pumping. Freewheeling Adventures runs tours for their cycling guests along this route - being off the main tourist routes there isn't as much worry with traffic.

Here are some links to check out this region:

Link to Cape Chignecto Park

novascotiaparks.ca/parks/cape-chignecto.asp

colchester.ca/five-islands-lighthouse-park

www.fundyforce.ca

http://www.ageofsailmuseum.ca/

Here is a travel blog from an international traveller about Cape Chignecto kayaking

hikebiketravel.com/26604/…

Here is a great trip report for a active full week around Nova Scotia

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k67969…

Here is a great trip report for active travellers looking for some of the most unique, beautiful spots in eastern Canada

tripadvisor.ca/…28969302

novascotia.com/en/…

www.driftwoodparkretreat.com

www.fundyfun.com

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Digby area and biking in NS

I would choose to stay in Annapolis Royal, it is cutesy and touristy and by the water. When you go explore brier island you may want to stop on Long Island and hike to the balancing rock. Very short trail and really neat view of this balancing rock at the end.

For other hiking try cape split and Blomidon provincial park near Wolfville in the Annapolis valley. Both offer a great view and some great hiking.

8. Re: Digby area and biking in NS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Digby