We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

Illinois
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

Greetings! My husband and I will be arriving in Nova Scotia via the Digby ferry and driving to Lunenburg, where we have reservations for two nights. Understanding that the ferry will not dock until around 2:30 or 3:00, and that it will take at least a couple of hours to drive to Lunenburg, we'd greatly appreciate any suggestions of routes that might offer some scenery. Would it be a reasonable goal to take a coastal route? If not, would it be feasible to swing down through part of Digby Neck, and then get on more of a direct , non-scenic route to Lunenburg? Thank you for any suggestions!

9 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

I am not from that part of Nova Scotia so I hope others come on with better answers. For sure the quickest route is the inland one. I have not driven that road in many years: http://goo.gl/maps/yrh2S

This route goes the long way around and is mostly on the highway. http://goo.gl/maps/lvtIS

This route takes some back roads; http://goo.gl/maps/MJmRx

Are you going back on the ferry or driving through New Brunswick? How much time will you have in Lunenburg once you get there. The South shore is lovely to explore on the coastal roads but it depends upon the time you have.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

As a variation on maryann's first route, I have done this one. It takes you across inland, and then down along the shore:

http://goo.gl/maps/t85fW

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

That is a great idea!

Illinois
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

Thanks everyone, for your responses! I've looked at the suggested routes and saved them for possible use. The route that includes some inland and some coast looks like a good compromise between speed and scenery.

We will have only 2 nights in Lunenburg. Our plan is to see what we can within an easily drivable radius. We will then drive to New Glasgow to catch the ferry to PEI for the next leg of our trip. The more I learn about Nova Scotia and the other maritimes, the more I wish our trip could be longer! Oh well, something to look forward to in retirement!

Our time in the province is one part of a loop that will take us from Manchester, NH to Bar Harbor, ME to Saint John, NB to Lunenburg, NS to Charlottetown, PEI and then back to Manchester again. We'll have flown from home in Illinois, so our trip is locked into the days between our flights.

I really appreciate everyone's helpful adivice!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

Since you will be arriving at Digby around 3 pm, plus another 30 mins before you get on the road; I'd recommend taking Hwy 101 to Annapolis Royal then take Rte 8 across the province to Liverpool. From there take Hwy 103 to the exit to Lunenburg.

The other option would be to continue to Middleton on Hwy 101 & take Rte 10 across country. You probably wouldn't get to Lunenburg until around 7 pm on either route.

The exploring of the side roads is very interesting with much great scenery, but I'd leave that to do during your visit in the area.

There is a Nova Scotia Tourist Info Centre just up the road from the ferry, I'd suggest that you stop there & they can help you decide which is the best route to take. They will also have updated info re: possible road closures , etc.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

I can tell you that retirement and travel are a great combination. This trip should give you the desire to come back here.

The Lunenburg area is great for just poking around. You will have more than you can do in two days.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

Sarah224...We're doing almost the EXACT same trip the end of July. Glad to get all the suggestions we can as we start planning our adventure.

Illinois
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

Hi, Janet! Cool that your trip is similar. Will you be going to Acadia NP at Bar Hargbor?

In case it's helpful to you, I've had replies to posts in the New Brunswick forum regarding the ferry from Digby and regarding the ferries that connect Campobello Island to mainland Nova Scotia, and in the Nova Scotia forum about the ferry to PEI.

I intend to post a trip report later on, and would love to read about yours, too. Have a great trip!

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg

Sarah,

We're flying from Seattle in/out of Boston. Nothing set in stone yet, but thinking we'll drive from beantown to NB, take ferry from Saint Paul to Digby, stay overnight in Annapolis Royal. Next day drive south shore up to Glasgow and take ferry to PEI. Will be spending a few days near Summerside with family, then driving up to Quebec for a couple days, another day or so in Montreal, then back to Boston.

Only thing booked are our flights....

Reply to: Route suggestions from Digby to Lunenburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Digby