We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Parramatta...
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Hi,

I'm planning a great escape next year with 2 friends around the end of Sept early Oct.

We plan to fly into New York from Sydney Australia then train it up to Boston before flying into Nova Scotia.

Our plan is to hire a car (this is VERY brave of us as up to this point we'll just do day tours) & tour around NS, up around Cape Breton then down to Halifax, do the SE coast, cross to Digby, then up & across to New Brunswick, cross the Lawrence River & drive down to Quebec City & Montreal. We hope to leave the car in Montreal & fly across to British Columbia. Piece of cake!

Do you know of any direct flights from Boston to Sydney, NS? (I figured this would minimize doubling up en route). Or would it just be easier to fly into Halifax?

Has anyone hired a car in NS & returned it to Montreal? Any problems with this? Are we more likely to have luck with getting a car out of Halifax?

Is this trip do-able in 12 days? Realistically we know we'll have to decide to miss out on some of the sights but we'll (probably) never be back so its do or die! :) - figuratively speaking of course. 1 of us has not been to Canada before.

Any must do suggestions from you would also be great.

Thanks for your ideas & help,

Regards

Halifax Titanic Historical Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Halifax Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,672 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Hi;

>>>Has anyone hired a car in NS & returned it to Montreal? Any problems with this?<<<

One-way car rentals can be very expensive. The rental car MUST somehow be returned to its point of origin, towed by the rental company, if necessary.

Best Regards

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Hi mstrail,

You're planning your "great escape" for a beautiful time of year in Nova Scotia. Did you plan to spend 12 days in Nova Scotia or did that include New Brunswick & Quebec?

I don't know if there are direct flights from Boston to Sydney, I believe that they would be coming into Halifax.

Re; info about picking up a rental car in Halifax & dropping it off in Montreal, check the posting here on the Nova Scotia forum titled "open jaws" Halifax to Montreal. It has been posted in the past few days.

I'd suggest that you check -- www.novascotia.com -- which is the website for Nova Scotia tourism. You can find lots of great info there as well as ordering the free Nova Scotia tour guide for next year.

They are usually out the early part of the year.

Let us know what you are mainly interested in seeing, so we can direct you in that area. Our province might look small, but we have lots to see & do.

All of your questions will be welcomed.

Fundygirl

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

There are no flights that take you to Sydney, just into Halifax then you can drive to Sydney in 5 hours. You can fly from Halifax to Sydney(do you have a second job) VERY EXPENSIVE. Just kidding but it is very pricey. Renting a car and splitting the cost between you is much cheaper. The drive is also very easy. Have a great time in Nova Scotia.

Parramatta...
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Right, back to the drawing board I go.

Here's my latest plan.

The great escape involves myself :) & my two sisters. We've been able to negotiate a 4 week leave of absence from our respective families. Call it a good behaviour release if you like! Our rough itinerary involves flying into NYC (4 nights stay), train to Boston (3 nights) then fly to Nova Scotia.

From your comments it seems to make more sense to fly into Halifax, hire a car & tour around NS - probably 5 or 6 days and then train it across to Montreal. Hire another car to tour around (6 days) before flying over to BC for 8 - 10 days. I know this doesn't = 4 weeks but shh, don't let on!

2 of us have been to Quebec prov before which explains why this leg will be a bit light on.

Thanks for the info on travel links - I confess I didn't see the NS helpful hints links on TA before. Having scanned the site for ideas on NYC & Boston previously I think I just 'crashed' - info overload!

Last year I caught the train from NYC to Montreal - OVER 12 HOURS! Beautiful scenery esp along the Hudson, but I hope the trip from Halifax to Montreal isn't as long! :(

Cheers,

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Montreal is a lot closer to NYC than it is to Halifax, so the train trip takes close to 22 hours. And as I mentioned earlier, you go through the most scenic parts of the journey at night.

http://www.viarail.ca/en_index.html

Parramatta...
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Having checked the timetable, I reckon we'll fly!

Thanks for your feedback.

cheers,

:)

L.A.
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Hi mstrail

I am the poster for "open jaws" mentioned above. Yes, I did find the drop off fees reaaaallllllly expensive, more than the rental period itself, with wide $ varaiance among companies. Consolidators and discount web sites like Travelocity , Priceline and Orbitz were of no help and even a bit higher( cheapest was Dollar Rental Car). It doesn't help that the US dollar has taken such a dive relative to the Canadian $. Just a few years ago, you could get a 25% break, and even earlier (talking about 15 years ago), it was about 50-60% less valued.

I will be flying also into Halifax and l had hoped to leave the car, as

you, in Montreal before flying home.

I just learned that the train trip involves 22 hours ,from the post above, so that clearly is impractical.

The next gambit for us is to check out prices for flights from Halifax to Montreal( or Quebec City ) with a new car rental when we arrive there.

If you find out anything on flights( airlines, costs, timing, etc ), since our plans kind of mirror each other, please post a reply to this message. I'll try to do the same.

Parramatta...
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Hi Kamerakid,

The plunge on the $US is great for us non- US citizens, the poor ol' Aussie $ is making a great comeback but will it last????????????

Personally I blame globilisation & corporate greed for the totally outta this world alternative return fees charged by the car hire companies - too heavy a thought for late on Sat night! :(

I agree 22 hours on the train is just too much out of a tight itinerary, esp since the scenic bits are in darkness. Flying seems the way to go.

I've had a second thought & was tossing up flying into Quebec city from Halifax & coping the charges with a return in Montreal &/or Toronto but haven't sourced a carrier that flies direct from H to Q. Since we're coming from so far I'm trying to avoid doubling up en-route.

Please, keep me update on your plans - I might steal some of them myself! :)

Cheers,

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

You might look at the drop charge on a car rental between Montreal and Quebec City. It shouldn't be too high because 1) there's lots of traffic between the two and 2) they're only a 3 hour drive apart. When I lived in Montreal, we used to make occasional day trips to Quebec City and also to Ottawa, which is even closer.

Newmarket
Level Contributor
584 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Touring Nova Scotia & Quebec in 08

Being from Canada, I'll return the favour of your answering my OZ questions by answering your question on Nova Scotia. I live near Toronto (which I notice you're planning to skip on your trip! lol) and my husband and I drove out to the East Coast a few years ago.

Have you thought about taking the ferry across from Portland, Maine (quite close to Boston) to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia? The ferry also leaves from Bar Harbor Maine (which is a bit further north but a quaint town to see)?. I searched the internet for you and found a site... catferry. com (do they let me post sites here?) which shows a map of where the ferry goes. You can take your car right on the ferry, but I'm not sure if you can take a rental car across the border from U.S. to Canada, so you might have to rent a new car in Yarmouth.

Save the trip to British Columbia for another time. Truly. You really don't have enough time to do both. The east coast is amazing. You DON'T want to rush through it. The Cabot Trail is breathtaking, Quebec City is enchanting, and the Eastern States are quite charming.

Get answers to your questions about Halifax
Recent Conversations