We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restairants in Halifax

NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Restairants in Halifax

We bought the Halifax Entertainment book and I'd like your opinion on any of these restaurants that are listed. Also are there any listed here that aren't in walking distance from the Delta Halifax.

Cafe Chianti

The Lower Deck

The Wooden Monkey

Trader's Bar

Stanner's Wharf Pub & Grill

Red Stag Tavern

Oasis Pub & Eatery

China Town

The Crown

Stories

Stone Street Cafe

Sam Slick's

Also if you have a recommendation for something that is not listed here, the would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restairants in Halifax

Chinatown is quite some distance outside Halifax in Rockingham.

Cafe Chinti very good

The Lower Deck is pub food but quite entertaining in Historic Properties, outside dining suggested here.

Wooden Monkey is one of my favorites.

Stories is very good reservations suggested.

I'm not familiar with the others sorry travelus"

but do really like "

Mezza on Quinpool my new favorite eatery

Sweet Basil

have a look at "

www.halifaxdining.ca and check restaurants by location if you wish,

blondie **

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restairants in Halifax

Cafe Chianti-excellent

The Lower Deck-pub food (good but greasy)

The Wooden Monkey (Ellen Page's favorite restaurant!)

Trader's Bar - never ate there

Stanner's Wharf Pub & Grill -never ate there

Red Stag Tavern - never ate there

Oasis Pub & Eatery - never ate there

China Town - good chinese food, not the best. In my opinion either Fan's in Dartmouth or Zen's in Clayton Park.

The Crown - never ate there

Stories - excellent. Pricy, but with the coupon you'll be ok.

Stone Street Cafe - excellent

Sam Slick's - never ate there

If you have a car, I HIGHLY recommend Rocco's in Dartmouth. It's in a hotel, and doesn't look like much from the outside, but FANTASTIC italian food. HIGHLY recommended. It's in the coupon book. (wonderful seafood too). Is the Hamachi House in there still? It was in last years book, and my book is at home and I can't remember. Not the sushi place, but the grill. It's FANTASTIC.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restairants in Halifax

I would scratch The Lower Deck off your list.

Had lunch there today and what a waste of 50 bucks !

Greasy is right cgreno, poor service and lousy food.

I treated my son and daughter to a meal today, we all had something different and all agreed it was garbage.

So many better choices in Halifax, don't waste your time or money at The Lower Deck !!

blondie **

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restairants in Halifax

Just came home from Halifax yesterday, I would recommend the Little Fish which is the casual restaurant at Five Fisherman restaurant, Salty's, Murphies or McKelvie's right at the waterfront or for a special gourmet dinner Gio's at the Prince George.

Have fun!

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restairants in Halifax

The best ones on your list are Cafe Chianti and The Wooden Monkey. Wooden Monkey is closer to the Delta Halifax (10 minutes or less) but Cafe Chianti is only about a 15-20 minute walk. The Lower Deck is great as a bar, not so much as a restaurant. Try going there from 10:00 pm onward for some fun.

I have not tried Stories but I hear it is also good.

Some other suggestions: Opa!, Morris East, Ginger Grass, The Carleton, Sweet Basil.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
127 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restairants in Halifax

Cafe Chianti has a nice atmosphere.

China Town is just re-opening today with new management so it's hard to say what the food will be like now.I've only been there once, it's ok but pricey.

I would go to The Great Wall for chinese food.

www.thegreatwall.ca

Try Darrells for good burgers

www.darrellelsrestaurants.com

And try Phil's on Quinpool Road for great fish and chips.

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restairants in Halifax

I second Chrissy77's recommendations of The Great Wall and Darrell's (you have to try the peanut butter burger...it will change your life)!

8. Re: Restairants in Halifax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 06:20