We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit?

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Topic
October visit?

I'm terribly dissapointed that I wasn't able to make a long planned trip to Halifax this summer. Was planning on coming with my husband and 3 kids (14-8-22 months). We lived in Halifax for 3 years over 4 years ago.

Since we weren't able to do our summer trip we are considering a fall trip without kids. (We have to use our tickets that have already been purchased)

We would stay most of the trip with friends but would LOVE to spend a night at Mountain Gap Inn somewhere in there. (One of my all time favorite places.) How late in October are the leaves still wonderful? How late are places (tourist-y type) still opened for the season?

Yes, I could check this with friends were going to see, but don't want anyone to know what we're planning quite yet!!

Thanks so much!

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October visit?

Most of the accommodations in Halifax are open all year round but call 1 800 565 0000 and get your 2005 Doers & Dreamers Guidebook. This is your total information guide for all the questions you may have. I know that the best time in Cape Breton is The 2nd and 3rd week. The weather plays a big part in this but the first week is USUALLY too soon and the last week is USUALLY too late.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October visit?

Hello mcc0004:

The Mountain Gap Inn is surely very nice...I love the cottages by the water..Has a very unique ambiance..

You should be good all the month of October.

Enjoy...

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: October visit?

I agree that you are probably good for the whole month of October. However, I would be inclined to make it in the first two weeks to be on the safe side.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October visit?

What is the weather like in Sept in Halifax area? We'll be there for only Sat of Labor Day weekend. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October visit?

Septenber is generally one of the best months here...have fun....

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: October visit?

Thanks for the replies. We're aiming at the second week in October. Now we just need to decide if we're taking kids or not. The original summer plan was the whole family for 2 weeks. When that was cancelled we were only given a credit on Air Canada. The original purchase was for 2 seats. Flights have now dropped enough that it would could cover 4. But the trip would be cut to 6 days, not 14 so I don't know if its worth dragging the kids along..

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October visit?

Why not make it a second honeymoon and leave the kids at home?