We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

What's the difference between these 2 please and do people go to either just for a drink.

We'll be arriving in Halifax in about ten days time (having flown from the UK) and don't really want to go out to a posh upmarket restaurant on our first night.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

The Economy shoe Shoppe is known as a hangout for artists and musicians and is a lively spot.I have never been there in the evening to see if this is true. The food is OK.

The Wooden Monkey strives to have as much local and organic food as possible. The menu is small, but interesting and the food is very good. I have gone there for lunch many times and would not hesitate to have dinner there.

Neither place is at all upscale.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

Never been to the Wooden Monkey, but the Shoe Shop is a great place for a drink and a light snack. It's certainly lively, no matter what night of the week you're there, and filled with interesting people. Not a real young teen-age crowd. I think you'll feel very comfortable there.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

Hi Walt "

Economy Shoe Shoppe is exactly what the other posters say it is " interesting " with quite a blend of locals, a good place to people watch for sure but the food at The Wooden Monkey is much better by far.

Enjoy whichever you choose,

regards,

blondie **

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

I agree that the food at the Wooden Monkey is better than at the Shoe Shop. SS has more of a watering hole feeling / less of a restaurant feeling. If I were just going for drinks and maybe an appy, I would go to the Shoe Shop, but for lunch or supper I'd definitely pick WM.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

Thanks everybody.

We'll walk from the Westin - they sound like a good choice or is there anywhere else on our way that would be better.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

Either of those 2 places are nice. I like the Fireside too, great martinis and an older, more relaxed crowd. It's not a nightclub, just a place to grab a quiet drink or two.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

I have been to both and as the others say- they are totally different.

Go to the Wooden Monkey for the food and the Shoe Shop ( that's what the locals call it) for the drinks and the atmosphere. From Thursday to Sunday after 11:00 it get crazy and with all of the students back- it will be nuts.

To check out the other bars and restuarants see this link:

http://www.clubzone.com/c1/Halifax/Bars.html

I like Mosiac and Seven Wine Bar for a quiet drink - both do get crowded later in the evening though.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

I would definitely recommened the Shoe Shop, its a great experience! Plus if you go, the nachos are a must!

NWT
Level Contributor
489 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

The Shoe Shop is great for a drink.

It's classy, and if you get a little peckish, the appies are pretty reasonably priced.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,143 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Economy Shoe Shoppe or Wooden Monkey

The OP was visiting in September 2008…no need to reply.

Get answers to your questions about Halifax