We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pier 21

Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Pier 21

Hello, fellow trippers! I'm interested in Pier 21 for personal and professional reasons--researching family histories. I guess this is a long shot, but I wondered if anyone on this forum has visited Pier 21 and would be willing to share their story with me. Also, Halifax experts, are there any stories about Pier 21 and the Westin hotel that you know of, or could you give me some leads? Thank you so much.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pier 21

Pier 21 is one of my favourite museums. (https://www.pier21.ca) The exhibits are extremely interesting and well done. Pier 21 became an entry point for immigrants to Canada in 1928 and my ancestors arrived in Canada in 1810. But my father did leave for WWII in Europe from Pier 21 and we have added his name to the Wall of Service. If you go on the website, some people/families on the Walls of Honour and Service have recorded their stories in the Story Collection. They are fascinating to read.

In the early 1950s, as a small child, one of my friends entered Canada through Pier 21. She was born during WWII in a German slave labour camp (she doesn't know which one) and doesn't have a birth certificate. She searched through the records at Pier 21 hoping that there would be some information that would help her get one. She did find the record of her mother's entry but it just had her mother's name "and child". So that was no help.

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pier 21

Hi northerndancer, Pier 21 is one of my favourite sites in Halifax as well. My uncle from Toronto was deployed out of Pier 21 in WWII and a couple of years before he died, I got him a brick on the "Wall of Service" for Christmas. You'd think I'd given him a million bucks :-) He even got to visit it on his last visit to Halifax.

Anyway, there is a very helpful research department at the Pier 21 Society who I'm sure will do whatever they can to help you. 902-425-7770 is the general switchboard number.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pier 21

I too enjoyed Pier 21 when I visited Halifax in July. As already mentioned, the displays are well done and I found the video presentation to be very interesting. As a fourth-generation Canadian, I don't have a personal connection, although I have a couple of close friends whose parents and older siblings arrived from Europe via Pier 21 after WWII.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pier 21

I fully understand how people find Pier 21 interesting if they have relations/friends who came through it and are interested in finding out more.

However on our recent visit to Halifax we decided to split our last day between the Atlantic Maritime Museum and Pier 21 and I have to say that as an "outsider" I found the Maritime Museum far more interesting.

5. Re: Pier 21

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Halifax