We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
158 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

Hi. We will be in Halifax for McCartney, then hope to tour around Nova Scotia for several days. We also want to see the Tall Ships. When is the best day in Halifax? What about the other ports? We're not sure we can stay until the Monday that the ships leave Halifax...but could arrange it if it is truly the best show of the ships.

Any advice appreciated.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

In my opinion, the day the ships sail out would be the best day. They raise their sails and leave one at a time, it is just beautiful.

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

Ditto to proudcaper's suggestion. The Parade of Sail is simply fantastic. The ships are here in Halifax from July 16-20 and then they will be leaving for other ports around Nova Scotia in smaller groups. If you can manage to stick around until July 20, you won't regret it. However, it's also a lot of fun while the ships are in port.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

I would agree that the day they parade the boats and head out of the harbour as being the day to see them. A great spot to do that is a place called York Redoupt. Its a national historic site with a commanding view of the entrance to the Harbour. Take the scenic walking trail to the shoreline where the old fortifications are, which are interesting in themselves.

Only thing is that most Haligonians also know this is a prime spot so get there very early or you will be in a long lineup of cars looking for parking. Especially if it is a nice day as many make a day of it and picnic there. You take Purcells Cove Road to get to this spot.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

Purcells Cove Road does have excellent vantage points for viewing the ships going out of the harbour !!

If you can arrange to stay over we'll give you easy directions.

The last day is the best day no doubt about it !!

blondie **

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

I agree with all the other posts that the "Parade of Sail" when the ships depart will be absolutely fantastic. You should, though, try to be there for one other day as well so that you can tour some of the vessels. While "some" of the Tall Ships will go to other ports, it is generally the smaller classes and it doesn't have anywhere near the impact you will get in Halifax.

Cheers

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
158 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

Thanks to all for the advice. I kinda figured that the parade day would be the best...will see if I can make it happen!! That will give me a week to explore other areas. When is whale season? I would love to go up to Fundy for kayaking and whale spotting. Is there a nice area for scuba (I dive in cold Calif water so not too worried about temp). ?

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

Hi lovefur, my name is Donald and I am from Nova Scotia tourism.

I am not sure of the whale season but I believe during your time in Halifax you should be able to see whales without any problems.

As for SCUBA diving, I do not have any experience with the activity but I did find a website that has a listing of various areas with descriptions of dives ( http://www.torpedorays.com/ ).

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Donald

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

Hi lovefur, try out Divers World in Halifax www.diversworld.ns.ca

or Sand and Sea www.sandandseadiveshop.ca, Probably your best bet for wreck dives and charters is up in Cape Breton in Arichat at Vollmers, check out www.vipilodge.com The whales are arriving right now in the lower Bay of Fundy and will be there into October. Brier Island and the Digby neck on the way there are the best spots to go for the large Baleen Whales. For seakayaking on the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia check out Advocate Harbour, were I guide. If you go to Advocate Harbour here on Trip Advisor you can find reviews of thins to do.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

And please try to schedule in the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
158 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tall ships 2009 Best Day??

Wow. Its awesome to get so much great info. Thank you all. I am looking forward to visiting Nova Scotia and will likely have more questions as the time draws near!! Peace.