We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS tour guide

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
65 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
GPS tour guide

Last summer my husband and I toured Western Canada (Alberta and British Columbia). The tourism office in Banff suggested that we might want to rent a GyPSy Guide (GPS tour guide) so we could travel at our own pace because I have some mobility issues. It was GREAT! It is basically a PDA with built in GPS which you connect to the audio on your vehicle. Since it's a GPS, it knows exactly where you are. Instead of having my nose in maps and tour books while my husband drove, we were both able to listen to our guide and thoroughly enjoyed our trip. If we saw a place we liked, we could linger. If not, we continued on our way (You sure can't do that on a packaged tour!). In addition to being more economical than tours, it allowed us to do exactly what we wanted when we wanted.

Is there such a product available for the Maritime Provinces? I have not been able to find anything like it. I would very much appreciate it if someone can help us.

Thank you!

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS tour guide

Be careful with a GPS in Nova Scotia as sometimes it sends you off the main roads because the settings did not eliminate secondary roads. And sometimes the GPS chip maps have included forest access roads or even ski doo trails. Trust me, I've been out on searches a few times on Cape Breton for lost travelers .

2. Re: GPS tour guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 05:17