We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halifax Restaurants

Upstate SC
7 posts
Save Topic
Halifax Restaurants

My wife and I will be in Halifax August 14-16. We have two of those nights for eating out. I've kind of narrowed our choices to: Five Fisherman, Chives, Sweet Basil Bistro, MacAskill's, Il Mercato, and Salty's. I'd like some advice from you on which two of those to choose. Thanks, Curtis Miles

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halifax Restaurants

For seafood Salty's or the Five Fishermen.

For a varied menu Chives, Sweet Basil or MacAskills.

For italian (love their pasta) Il Mercato.

The BEST views are at Salty's and MacAskill's.

And if you don't want to take your car to Dartmouth for MacAskill's you are just as close if you take the ferry across and back. It'll be chilly though.

I can't rank them, as I love each place for different things on their menus. So I honestly can't say anything bad about any of them! But if *I* only had 2 nights to eat out, I would probably do Il Mercato and MacAskill's from the choice of restaurants you've picked out.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
793 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halifax Restaurants

Do Salty's for lunch. It's a casual kind of place right on the water, and you will be able to see "stuff" during the day (versus the night when it's dark). Then you can still pick two of your choices for dinner.

(Having not been to MacAskill's), I would pick Five Fishermen and Chives. (I'm originally from NYC and I've never been satisified with the Italian food in NS.)

Moncton
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Halifax Restaurants

you may also want to check out www.hydrostonemarket.ca

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Halifax Restaurants

Alas, Sweet Basil Bistro is no more … the building was demolished recently in anticipation of more ‘development’ in the Historic Properties area.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Halifax Restaurants

I would reccomend MacAskills for the food and the best view around or, although you hadn't mentioned it, LaPerla one street up from MacAskills has excellent Italian and a roof top patio.

Il Mercato is good, but does not take resevations and personally I prefer McKelvies over 5 Fisherman for seafood.

Salty's is also good, but we are having a bit of a problem with "floatables" in the harbour due to a treatment plant breakdown, and the ambiance leaves a little to be desired.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halifax Restaurants

Another vote for McKelvies!!

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halifax Restaurants

I would go with Chives and either Salty's or MacAskill's.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halifax Restaurants

In Halifax now and have eaten at some not so good places, which I won't mention.

We did at McKelvies and thought it was great. Best seafod we have had since we have been here. We went to Il Mercato tonight and thought it was so good that we may go back tomorrow on our last night in Halifax. The food was fantastic. They told us at Il Mercato that Ristorante Mano at Bishops Landing is good so we may go there tomorrow for variety.

We will be back in Dartmouth for one night in a week or so so I am sure we will try McCaskills. Somehow the best advice I ever get is from this site. Thanks for the recommendations.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halifax Restaurants

You know, I suggest you try at least one night at a darn good pub in Halifax. There are quite a few, and some will have great local entertainment. You get pub fare but often with a flare as they all have their own favourites. here's a few- The old Triangle, the Split Crow, the Lower Deck and if they have music (call them) the Celtic Corner by the ferry in Dartmouth. There are fancier pubs too, but you do want to have a good time. Before deciding though , take a look, find out what type of entertainment .... then again , maybe go to one after your fine dining evening!!

I sure wish someone in Halifax would have a boat that cruises and had dining aboard!!

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halifax Restaurants

Spriglet:

If there were places where you clearly had a bad experience or a bad product, then I encourage you to share your opinion, as that might be valuable . There are several here who are from Halifax and other parts of Nova Scotia, so feel free to send one of us a private message if you wish. Now, I haven't checked, but the inspection reports of all NS restaurants are supposed to be online on some government of nova scotia website.