We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Halifax to Baddeck - any suggestions?

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Halifax to Baddeck - any suggestions?

Hi All,

We will be heading to NS this week for 5 days (ending in Charlottetown) and for 2 nights we are staying Baddeck. I was just wondering if there were any recommendations for the drive between Halifax and Baddeck or should we just take the directions the B&B gave us (prob the fastest route along the highways)? Are there any cool/nice/scenic spots on the way other than the highway route? Or should we just head to Baddeck on the straightest route and continue our sight-seeing there?

Thanks in advance.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Halifax to Baddeck - any suggestions?

Since I'm not sure of your "time of day" for the drive from Hfx to Baddeck,I will suggest some possibilites which might fit into your schedule.

Shubenacadie Wildlife Park (http://wildlifepark.gov.ns.ca)

Watson Smith & Sons Tinsmith Shop & Hardware Store Museum in Shubenacadie (www.tinsmithshopmuseum.ca)

Mastodon Ridge & Showcase Nova Scotia in Stewiacke (www.mastodonridge.com)

Glooscap Heritage Centre in Millbrook (www.glooscaphertiagecentre.com)

Victoria Park in Truro (www.truro.ca/depart/parks/vicpark/about.htm)

All of these suggested places are minutes off Hwy # 102.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Halifax to Baddeck - any suggestions?

msandico

besides what Suncatcher has told you, if you are only on the ground for 5 days, then you might want to reconsider why you are in Baddeck for 2 of the 5 .

I'll assume you will travel the Cabot Trail, and suggest if you have 2 nights to be on Cape Breton Island that you would want one night on the ocean and facing west so you can enjoy a sunset on the horizon. Yes, you can travel the full circle of the Cabot Trail by leaving Baddeck in the morning and getting back by sunset, but you may find that restricted your chances to do anything along the Trail, like a hike, a whale watch, or go to a ceilidh.

To get to PEI from, say Margaree Harbour, is just as fast as getting there from Baddeck.

3. Re: Drive from Halifax to Baddeck - any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 05:17