We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robbed at the Lord Nelson

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Robbed at the Lord Nelson

We stayed at The Lord Nelson in halifax last sunday night,

We thought it would be pretty secure and thought it was one of the safer, better places to stay.

Our room got broken into, with no forced entry. Everything was taken. All our clothes, our bags, they even took our toothbrushes.

We had to cut our trip short, the hotel did nothing to help us, didn't take responsibility for anything neither did they go out of their way to find out what happened.

After our one night, we were charged full price for our room, given not much help in trying to find out who did it.

Which most likely seems that there was an inside job.

This hotel at one point was one of the best places to stay, lately it is as sketchy as some of the motels.

Do yourself a favor, and stay somewhere else.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robbed at the Lord Nelson

canadarobbed

For the benefit of everyone, I would like to suggest you consider taking a few actions , as based on what you have outlined, this is really unacceptable.

If you check and find that the Lord nelson is listed as a hotel on Trip Advisor, then you should write a "review" .j

1. Write to the Minister of Tourism

2.Write to teh Hotal Assocation of Canada

3.write to the rating people called "Canada Select".

4. Write the Tourism Association of Nova Scotia

and you may even want to consider writing the

Halifax Chronicle Herald.

I trust you contacted the Halifax Police as that is really the first place to start.

I suggest this because the Nova Scotia government believes that the accommodation properties no longer need to licensed and inspected by a government agency . They feel that a "rating" is sufficient.

And on behalf of many in Nova Scotia , we wish that you'll return .

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,734 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robbed at the Lord Nelson

canadarobbed;

What did the police say ?

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robbed at the Lord Nelson

Did you report this to the police? What did they tell you?

canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Robbed at the Lord Nelson

Hey, thanks for the tips.

We had the police come and take a look.

They didn't say much, they pretty much told us that they couldn't do much. and they said that "this isn't CSI".

We were told today by the hotel that they were told by the police not to look into it anymore and that it's the police's issue. Although we can't know anything until saturday since the officer that is assigned the case isn't working until then.

We were also told that we can't see the tape of the robbers because on confidentiality laws. Which is too bad because they said that the tape is really clear. We hoped that at least we would get to see them and maybe they would look familiar of it might trigger something.

it was a very big bummer. We went from an extreme high to an extreme low. We were looking forward to this trip for months. One of my friends was here on vacay from alberta which is why the trip was planned. We had 3 days scheduled to have some serious fun.

We started with the ziplining in Pictou (Which was unreal) and had a tidal bore boat ride in the bay of fundy which we had to cancel for the next day. Since we had nothing left other than what was on us the night of the robbery. I'd like to say thanks to the Tidal bore people for letting us cancel our reservation.

EIther way, our 3 days of fun turned into one night of fun then a robbery, then a drive home with minimum moral.

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Robbed at the Lord Nelson

That is really alarming - I hope you will take the time to post in the Tripadviser hotel review section, since sometimes people don't visit the local forums when they do a quick search.

Also, I'm wondering which Fundy white water place it was that you dealt with, and who were so understanding? That be another good thing to put in a "review", since I know I would be interested to know about it if I did a quick search of the place.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Robbed at the Lord Nelson

I agree with Caperbeach re notifying several Tourism contacts re your experience at the Lord Nelson Hotel.

You should write about the entire experience & forward it to:

Douglas Matthews at Tourism NS: matthews@gov.ns.ca

Ronald van der Weegan, Canada Select: qvs@eastlink.ca

Darlene Grant-Fiander, TIANS: DGF@tourism.ca

Danny Morton, TIANS: danny@whitepoint.com

7. Re: Robbed at the Lord Nelson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 05:17